Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they subject to the regulations in 680 for underwater luminaires, or can the controller be fed with UF cable?

Me, I'm not certain, but would err on the side of caution without someone smarter saying it's not necessary.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,307 Posts
The light is not at the pool and thus there is no danger of shock so IMO the uf would be fine.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can't speak for your location here it's gotta be in conduit and the niche gets the #8 insulated bond in the lug. High or low voltage doesn't matter here also.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,307 Posts
Can't speak for your location here it's gotta be in conduit and the niche gets the #8 insulated bond in the lug. High or low voltage doesn't matter here also.
There is no voltage at the light. It is a fiber cable and the light is at a different source away from the pool.

I agree it must be in conduit to the shell but the source power should not have to be the same as a standard pool light

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I personally have not installed a fiber optic one and would like to see pictures from the op after installation. But like I said here most localities really don't care high voltage or low voltage they want the conduit and #8 to the niche. Is it right or wrong I don't know. It's kind of like installing ground rods, people usually put in the second instead of worrying about the resistance of the first one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sparky J said:
But like I said here most localities really don't care high voltage or low voltage they want the conduit and #8 to the niche. Is it right or wrong I don't know. It's kind of like installing ground rods, people usually put in the second instead of worrying about the resistance of the first one.
As Dennis said there is NO voltage. Not high or low, none at all. The voltage is at a remote location with fiber as a conduit for the light to travel.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the replies. :thumbsup:

I don't see any danger at all, as was said, there is no voltage at the pool itself.

Pictures would be kind of boring. It is an existing installation where conduit runs up one post of a deck, across a beam, then down another post where it then goes underground to the controller in a piece of LFNMC. GC is wrapping the posts and beams with Azek, and I thought it would be better to forgo redoing it in conduit if I could hide the wiring behind the wraps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.