Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good brands? I don't know much about this field and have been helping a local company in a consultant role for low voltage. Then they asked this question. I don't know so I'm turning to y'all lol

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
About 20 years ago I used a manual Fujikura cleaver, 3m Fiberlocks and a light meter (don't recall brand name). This is probably outdated technology now. A fusion splicer is more up to date. A OTDR is handy for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm thinking about learning more about fiber. Anyone have recommendations where you might be able to take a class or any suppliers or manufacturers who are having promotions? I'm dealing with multimode.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mikeh32 said:
I do a lot of fiber work. it depends on what fiber company you use for tools, persay. But some of the big names, corning, paladin, sumitomo,
So the tools needed depend on the provider of the whichever brand? Damn so much for having a universal set lol

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
What are some good brands? I don't know much about this field and have been helping a local company in a consultant role for low voltage. Then they asked this question. I don't know so I'm turning to y'all lol
I used an antiquated fujikara splicer with manual stripper and cleaver and a Fluke DTX-1800 with fibre modules, Im lucky my current company just sub out our fibre stuff, I hate it. It might be alrught with those splicers that auto cleave.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Dont know about the states but 2k aint alot of anything to do with fibre here.
Well being that the connectors are about $14 a piece that's like 142 connectors, that's a lot of fiber connectors. I mean depending on what you're doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.