Electrician Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
I never hated wood ladders. If they got loose, you just tighten them up with your linemans. They might have been heavy, but they were always well balanced on your shoulder. Fiberglass always seems to dig into your shoulder, and their never balanced. The wood ones never had the rubber feet, so they splayed out and centered themselves when you climb them. The fiberglass always have the rubber on the feet. They have a habit of sitting on three legs, and then jumping when you get close to the top. You can leave a wooden one out and and it will never get stolen.

I might still be using them if they were allowed on any jobs. I remember when the GC’s started to ban them on their jobs. Before that I remember the new hires coming on the job and saying “WTF is with the wood ladders”. It’s crazy because they would buy dozens of Stout battery porta-bands for the guys when they came out, but they were stuck on the wood ladders. They’ll buy anything to increase production, I guess they just didn’t see fiberglass ladders increasing productivity or safety.

I’m just glad platform lifts took over before I started. I worked with a lot of guys when I started that remembered how how much they used to use rolling scaffolds with a ground guy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I hate wood ladders, once they get wet, even worse. Glad most work can be done without scaffolding, glad those days are mostly gone. I know we still have a 16ft A-frame ladder somewhere, takes two to set it up.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
When I first got in the trade our shop had all wooden ladders. Those definitely were wobblers! The sprinkler guys had those beast Two sided a frames which had to be shoulder busters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I hate wood ladders, once they get wet, even worse. Glad most work can be done without scaffolding, glad those days are mostly gone. I know we still have a 16ft A-frame ladder somewhere, takes two to set it up.
We had a 20' fiberglass A frame that i hated. Stupid thing was like 5' wide at the bottom and was a nightmare to stand-up.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. I had an 8’ wooden stepladder. What a pig. I sold it online for next to nothing; happy to see it gone.

Afraid a splinter was gonna ruin your pretty jacket?

Reactions: 99cents

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Fiberglass always seems to dig into your shoulder
Steal a little 10" cut-off of metal track from the carpenters and caulk it into the inner side of the rail. That will make it flat for shoulder carrying comfort.

and their never balanced. The wood ones never had the rubber feet, so they splayed out and centered themselves when you climb them. The fiberglass always have the rubber on the feet. They have a habit of sitting on three legs, and then jumping when you get close to the top.
This only happens when you don't make sure that it is flat. I always make sure the ladder is flat before climbing, even today.

The thing I really hate about wooden ladders is the wobble. The rocking. A few times I climbed the ladder and it rocked and startled the crap out of me to the point in which I almost jumped off because I thought it was going over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hertz Hound has it right. When the wooden ladder gets wobbly, just tighten the carriage bolts under the treads.

Then cut off the excess thread past the nut, or you will have something else to cut you or your clothes.... I've had loose ones that tightened well, but had over a 1/2" of thread now past the nut.

That does not fix the weight, however.... Ha!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I remember long ago before the word safety had a meaning, we use to do service changes with an aluminum extension ladder. Back then the choices were either wood or aluminum. There were no fiberglass ladders. We just put 2 - 2 X 10s under the ladder feet and then we were isolated from ground.

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
I have found fiberglass ladders to be more wobbly than wood. And they're really not that much lighter than a dry wood one. And the fact they dig into your shoulders means that even if lighter they are more uncomfortable to carry. I know you can pack the rail with something to make it more comfortable, but I'm an employee and I use whichever ladder is provided.

I had a fiberglass ladder break under me once. Only a couple months old, no signs of damage, one of the legs collapsed just below the lowest rung when I was 4' up. I wasn't badly hurt, but I've had a distrust of them ever since.

I've used both and found I am more comfortable and can work more quickly with a wood ladder.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just had to set up 3 layers of scaffolding last week to change a damn ceiling fan. it was a high ceiling, but come on. The company should have a 20ft A-frame by now.

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
636 Posts
I just had to set up 3 layers of scaffolding last week to change a damn ceiling fan. it was a high ceiling, but come on. The company should have a 20ft A-frame by now.
When I rent a 20 foot A frame, it's less than 60 bucks. I'm guessing you spend more than that (in time) to set up the scaffolding.

The ladder will probably pay for itself in 10 jobs. :wink:

Reactions: jarrydee
21 - 32 of 32 Posts