Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a bathroom renovation for my sister. It seems like her situation is ideal for replacement of her existing electrical water tank with a tankless unit.

I am looking for opinions of people have experience with this type of unit and this manufacturer - Steibel.

Demand

My sister will be replacing the 60x30 shallow builders special original tub with a 60x32 soaker. She currently has difficulties with getting enough hot water to fill her existing tub (40 gal electrical water heater).

She lives in Raleigh, NC with the coldest incoming water temp at 55deg F.

Single woman, small house, two baths. Minimal hot water usage.

Existing Conditions

200 Amp service
Electric Heat Pump and Air Conditioner

New Configuration:
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Electric Tankless Whole House Water Heater, 240 V, 24 kW, Model No. 223424

Unit requires change from one 2-pole 60A circuit breaker for two 2-pole 60A breakers.

Stiebel Tech support and other recommendations online indicate that this will all work fine.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Stiebel Tech support and other recommendations online indicate that this will all work fine.

Whaddya think?
Did the tech support guy do a load calc on all connected loads? While I'm on the phone with tech support, I like to ask what continent he's on.

I would expect the electrician you hire will do the calculation for you and when he pulls the permit the inspector will be the double check.

·
Premium Member
19,984 Posts
She sounds like a good candidate for a tankless gas water heater.
Electric tankless are almost always a mistake. They cannot save you any money.
The label on my water heater tank said that it costs $500 per year to operate.
A bath or shower consumes x amount of BTUs. You still have to pay for that usage.
The tank has 2 or more inches of closed cell insulation. You won't be losing much heat to that to offset the cost of a tankless.
The size tankless she will need will put a welder to shame.
Go gas or suffer burned terminations and power quality problems for the life of the heater.
Yes, I have an electric tankless that was given to me for evaluation. It takes 2-40 amp circuits.
It works perfect but hasn't saved me a penny. I'm really going to suffer if they ever start charging for demand.

Did I mention you should go with a gas unit?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
what he said ^. I've only put one in a commercial showroom and my recollection was it took a 3 pole 50 or 60 (can't remember), and if I remember right it was only for a sink. her other options (as I'm sure you know) are simply getting a bigger HWH or one with quicker recovery. A spa tub with reheat might work for her. Also, If she likes soaking that much, a hot tub might be a great idea too.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
hum a 40 gal isnt enough for the bath? how many gal goes into this bath?, maybe the 40gal is defective (only upper element works), i would just go with a 60 gal if the 40 gal isnt enough

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
With the walls open it'd be easy enough to add a line and circulate the hot water. She'd save over all even if she invested in a solar panel to run the
circulation pump, and have a timer on that. Unless she's grown water lungs she doesn't need it. JMO...

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I wired one tankless heater in my career and it was in a Catholic church washroom. It wasn't even a public washroom it was just the vestry washroom that was there for the priest's use and its used maybe 3 times a week when the priest washes his hand.
That's about the only spot I can think of that a tankless water heater is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Seeing as the OP is not an electrician:

Please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.