Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used filemaker by mac for business managment and how did it work out? This would be for a small 0.5-2mil per year gross company with 1000-2000 jobs per year application

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,896 Posts
I have certified as a filemaker developer 10,11, 12. Been using it forever. If you do not have the type of sponge mind like most teenagers do , you will find it easy at first (like Excel) and then way complicated when you want to do real work (like Excel). It is a very capable database database application. Where it shines is applications on Ipads without having to travel thru the Apple Store.

·
Senile Member
30,896 Posts
I tried, but it couldn't handle my $47 billion dollar 234,523,443 jobs per year company.
That is the perfect size company for using Filemaker databases. The Filemaker server is more than capable of doing that.

·
Senile Member
30,896 Posts
Cletis , If you take that plunge and get stuck , pm me and I will help . (up to the point where you become a pain in the ass....:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
macmikeman said:
Cletis , If you take that plunge and get stuck , pm me and I will help . (up to the point where you become a pain in the ass....:thumbsup:)
Im pretty sure were going to do it. Im guessing i need 3 licenses for upper management as well. Weve already attended seminars with our personal apple business coach

I may take you up on that

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Has anyone used filemaker by mac for business managment and how did it work out? This would be for a small 0.5-2mil per year gross company with 1000-2000 jobs per year application
I think they used this for the healthcare.gov website.:eek::eek::laughing:

·
Senile Member
30,896 Posts
Cletis, if you are really sure you are going to go for it, along with budgeting for the additional seats besides yourself, you better contact some local filemaker developers and get some pricing for development help. Why do I say this? Because Filemaker pushes out glossy advertising that makes it seem any fool can create great databases and front ends for the same. Let me tell you from personal experience- it takes as much effort to learn all the features and how to make your own useful good products out of it as it took to get your Jman electrical license in your hands. Actually, maybe more effort. Be forewarned. If you have not had a bunch of experience with Access or Oracle, and understand relational databases , coding and scripting basics, and a flair for good page design, you will be lost and your results will be crummy and basically useless. But if you do go for it and get stuck, like I said, pm me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts