Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have terms and conditions listed on my estimates and I use estimates as a contract for the residential service work that I do. The customer agrees and signs it before I do the work. One of the terms that is at the top of the front page is "Payment due upon completion of work".

I have never had a problem with this. Everyone pays when we finish. The only exceptions are when working for a condo association or something like the or when the customer isn't home when we finish. That is understandable.

Today after finishing up a service change, the customer had his wife give me a check for 1/3 the job amount. 1/3 was given up front as a deposit. She said that her husband wanted to leave the final third until after the inspection.

Is it wrong for me to not be happy with this?

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I have terms and conditions listed on my estimates and I use estimates as a contract for the residential service work that I do. The customer agrees and signs it before I do the work. One of the terms that is at the top of the front page is "Payment due upon completion of work".

I have never had a problem with this. Everyone pays when we finish. The only exceptions are when working for a condo association or something like the or when the customer isn't home when we finish. That is understandable.

Today after finishing up a service change, the customer had his wife give me a check for 1/3 the job amount. 1/3 was given up front as a deposit. She said that her husband wanted to leave the final third until after the inspection.

What is the definition of "Completion of work"?
When you get in the work truck and leave after completing your work.
Or, when the inspector signs off on your work?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
One of the terms that is at the top of the front page is "Payment due upon completion of work".

It looks like its spelled out that you should get paid when youre done.

But, if you did the work for me, I would want to make sure your work was signed off.

So, I really didn't give you an answer.:laughing:

Reactions: BBQ

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was really cold today and maybe I am just being pissy.

I just don't like other people setting my terms. If he didn't want to pay until after inspection he should have brought that up when signing the contract.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get glad in the same pants you got mad in.

Before you left with your tail between your legs, did you tell the customer that you will not call for a final until you got paid in full, or did you just leave holding your tail from your backside and then decide to complain about it?
Take this back, the entire post.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is your opinion, it does not have to be other people's opinion.

Obviously this job requires an inpection, if it fails inpection is it 'complete'?
This is me Bob, I don't fail inspections :whistling2:

Oh no wait, that's 480 :thumbup:

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that, but the customer does not know he is dealing with a tenth level black belt of the electrical trade.
I'm blushing :)

Oh no, that's just wind burn. HORRIBLE week. Well, it was good as far as work, but I hate working.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts