Electrician Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been on this forum for most of a year, now, and this outpouring of introductions has reminded me that I never posted an intro when I joined.

I'm just a welder/millwright who got tired of pulling wrenches and figured it would be easier to pull wire. :) Most of the time it is. Some of the time it isn't. I never served a formal apprenticeship, so I do things the way it seems best to me, or the way I've seen it done before in existing work that I look at. It takes longer to teach yourself, but it can be done, and I've had successful multi-hundred-thousand-dollar projects.
I'm the manager of the electrical division of a millwrighting company. Millwrighting and electrical is a good mix - you can go to fix a piece of automated equipment and you've got a good grounding in all of it, not just the controls. Hydraulics and pneumatics are kissing cousins with electrical, so much of the theory transfers over.

Anyway, you'll often hear me asking about the 'best way' to do something. Sometimes a bit of a change in technique makes things a LOT easier, and those are the things that I look hard for.

The best thing about my job is the variety. One day I'll be debugging a plastic extrusion line, the next day I'm wiring in machinery, the next day I'm putting in a new service somewhere, and the next I'm sitting in my office working on a PLC program. It's a good enough life, and with four kids and one income a reliable paycheque and full benefits is important.
And it keeps us in diapers and formula.

As I age I get less and less opinionated... or more and more apathetic... one of the two. Same symptoms. Anyway, you're getting the 'kinder, gentler' Mike who tends not to get goaded into typing five page diatribes. The old Mike was probably a bit of a pain.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I've been on this forum for most of a year, now, and this outpouring of introductions has reminded me that I never posted an intro when I joined.

I'm just a welder/millwright who got tired of pulling wrenches and figured it would be easier to pull wire. :) Most of the time it is. Some of the time it isn't. I never served a formal apprenticeship, so I do things the way it seems best to me, or the way I've seen it done before in existing work that I look at. It takes longer to teach yourself, but it can be done, and I've had successful multi-hundred-thousand-dollar projects.
I'm the manager of the electrical division of a millwrighting company. Millwrighting and electrical is a good mix - you can go to fix a piece of automated equipment and you've got a good grounding in all of it, not just the controls. Hydraulics and pneumatics are kissing cousins with electrical, so much of the theory transfers over.

Anyway, you'll often hear me asking about the 'best way' to do something. Sometimes a bit of a change in technique makes things a LOT easier, and those are the things that I look hard for.

The best thing about my job is the variety. One day I'll be debugging a plastic extrusion line, the next day I'm wiring in machinery, the next day I'm putting in a new service somewhere, and the next I'm sitting in my office working on a PLC program. It's a good enough life, and with four kids and one income a reliable paycheque and full benefits is important.
And it keeps us in diapers and formula.

As I age I get less and less opinionated... or more and more apathetic... one of the two. Same symptoms. Anyway, you're getting the 'kinder, gentler' Mike who tends not to get goaded into typing five page diatribes. The old Mike was probably a bit of a pain.
Thanks for joining up mike..:)

And Welcome to the forum...:laughing:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts