Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am not sure if there is some format intended for intros but ill give it my best.
I am an 18 year old high school grad who wanted to go into a trade from the get go. I tried college, ended up hating it for the fact of debt and non hands on based learning which is what i enjoy 100%
I live in the Buffalo, NY area. I searched ibew buffalo on google and what not.
I just don't know where to go from here? I know i have to take a aptitude test which is most math based, which is not my strong suit. What are the steps i should take before getting involved with what i am hoping to get is an apprenticeship. I read around these forums and i noticed alot of beginners say how starting out is rough for them because of the people involved. I dont want to join in and be an issue for the people who have been involved for along time either.. Also on the site i noticed the pay wages
http://gyazo.com/adb853d0f6fcd0fe9711fa4d7178411a

In that picture does that mean i wont start getting paid until im 37% into my apprenticeship? and would i start out full time 40 hours a week?

All im really asking for is advice and what to look out for and any general knowledge for getting into this trade.

Cheers

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hello all, I am not sure if there is some format intended for intros but ill give it my best.
I am an 18 year old high school grad who wanted to go into a trade from the get go. I tried college, ended up hating it for the fact of debt and non hands on based learning which is what i enjoy 100%
I just don't know where to go from here? I know i have to take a aptitude test which is most math based, which is not my strong suit. What are the steps i should take before getting involved with what i am hoping to get is an apprenticeship. I read around these forums and i noticed alot of beginners say how starting out is rough for them because of the people involved. I dont want to join in and be an issue for the people who have been involved for along time either.. Also on the site i noticed the pay wages

In that picture does that mean i wont start getting paid until im 37% into my apprenticeship? and would i start out full time 40 hours a week?

All im really asking for is advice and what to look out for and any general knowledge for getting into this trade.

Cheers
Hello Zheltz: Welcome aboard....:thumbup:

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts

Cheers
You've a millennium of experience to draw from here Z, so fire away....

~CS~

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
welcome and good luck! if you read that thread about not getting paid and even paying to learn on the job, dont go there!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Cheers
Im currently working on getting into the local 43 out of Syracuse myself. And it is a long process for sure I started by filling out the app online and mailing my transcript and resume to the jatc. Then was scheduled for the aptitude test witch is 50/50 math and reading comp. After receiving a qualifying score I was granted an interview. Did well in that aspect aswell and now waiting to get called to work. As far as apprentices go from what I understand you work 40 a week during summer and 32hrs during the school year and will attend class unpaid for 8hrs a week. Each year your pay goes up a bit till you are done with the program. Its a 5year program and if you are in it for a CAREER it seems to be well worth it. Hope this helps you make a decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im currently working on getting into the local 43 out of Syracuse myself. And it is a long process for sure I started by filling out the app online and mailing my transcript and resume to the jatc. Then was scheduled for the aptitude test witch is 50/50 math and reading comp. After receiving a qualifying score I was granted an interview. Did well in that aspect aswell and now waiting to get called to work. As far as apprentices go from what I understand you work 40 a week during summer and 32hrs during the school year and will attend class unpaid for 8hrs a week. Each year your pay goes up a bit till you are done with the program. Its a 5year program and if you are in it for a CAREER it seems to be well worth it. Hope this helps you make a decision.
Thats is great to here, and yes i intend it to be my career for sure, but should i have gone to college to get in? I graduated HS, I dont have a resume, and i dont think my school gave me my transcript. Whats my first step? i cant find an application online for Buffalo..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did not go to collage. Im 30 year's old and have been working as an industrial tech for 11 years. Its a pay cut to start out for me but im willing to take a cut in the short term to make more later plus the bennies are much better in the ibew. If I get in for sure this year I can retire at 55. Thats my goal. 60 at the latest.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Buffalo? I spent 25 years of my life there. Applied twice to that local. Good luck...

Other then that... MIGHTY TACO!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I did not go to collage. Im 30 year's old and have been working as an industrial tech for 11 years. Its a pay cut to start out for me but im willing to take a cut in the short term to make more later plus the bennies are much better in the ibew. If I get in for sure this year I can retire at 55. Thats my goal. 60 at the latest.
You and I are very close in age. Our fathers generation is beginning to start working past 65, I think by the time you and I hit 60, retirement may still be 15 years off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hell I hope not! Its all about good investments and proper saving. As long as things go close to my plan and my stock choises continue to do well I should be good. As of right now I have no mortgage and verry little debt so as long as I can pay my bills and eat on 5k a month then im a happy camper. But if I have to work till im 68 so be it I enjoy working for the most part.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
if it costs 5k a month to feed you, you better go a diet!:001_huh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts