Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm curious as to what sources you go to when installing a fire alarm system as an Electrician.

If you refer to Building code please leave code section and/or rule.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The prints???

If there’s none available, then use the fire alarm code book. Its like NFPA - something. That’ll tell you what’s required.

·
Registered
Commercial, Fire Alarm
16 Posts
Getting in contact with the technician that will come inspect the installation is often a good idea as well. They can usually tell you whether there are any local modifications or additional requirements from the AHJ as well as giving you a heads up on any specific quirks or details of the system you are installing.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,647 Posts
Getting in contact with the technician that will come inspect the installation is often a good idea as well. They can usually tell you whether there are any local modifications or additional requirements from the AHJ as well as giving you a heads up on any specific quirks or details of the system you are installing.
Even better would be to have a certified fire alarm worker running the job so the installation actually meets the ULC standards.

An electrician with a fire alarm certification can save and make you lots of money.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,704 Posts
Yeah because a big red box with “CEC” in it at the beginning of every post is so hard to see 😆😉
I think it should be a bit bigger, and flashing on/off :p

I think they also need a pop up window when you click on it ... something like this
😂

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,647 Posts
I think it should be a bit bigger, and flashing on/off :p

I think they also need a pop up window when you click on it ... something like this
😂
Just like to tag @Dennis Alwon for reference as to how long it took before someone missed his new “identify the Canadian thread” experiment.
Like I said, those that didn’t notice before will still not notice now

😆😆😆

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,704 Posts
Just like to tag @Dennis Alwon for reference as to how long it took before someone missed his new “identify the Canadian thread” experiment.
Like I said, those that didn’t notice before will still not notice now

😆😆😆
As they say ..... "You called it" 😆

I don't know what you were thinking @MHElectric ... YOU of all people :oops:

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Nobody pays attention to those stupid little things like “Canadian Bacon Identification Marks”! Ha!

We just post on whatever comes up when you hit the new button.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,704 Posts
Nobody pays attention to those stupid little things like “Canadian Bacon Identification Marks”! Ha!

We just post on whatever comes up when you hit the new button.
Take-off, eh !

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
882 Posts
There is no difference in installing conduit for an FA or any other electrical device.

The difference come if you doing a Class A 4 wires, Class B 2 wires with an resistor at the end.
Or if you doing addressable devices. Which is 4 wires and a com cable.

Most people follow the prints. Once you know your system type, then add in the NEC for locations if you do not have a print.

My new home has a Edwards Class B system. The electrical inspector saw the twisted pair wire hang down and told me that I had to ground the box. Sir this is 12vdc. my fire alarm system.
Showed him my panel and he gave me the deer in the headlight look. I have never seen one of these in a residence before....

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,647 Posts
There is no difference in installing conduit for an FA or any other electrical device.

The difference come if you doing a Class A 4 wires, Class B 2 wires with an resistor at the end.
Or if you doing addressable devices. Which is 4 wires and a com cable.

Most people follow the prints. Once you know your system type, then add in the NEC for locations if you do not have a print.

My new home has a Edwards Class B system. The electrical inspector saw the twisted pair wire hang down and told me that I had to ground the box. Sir this is 12vdc. my fire alarm system.
Showed him my panel and he gave me the deer in the headlight look. I have never seen one of these in a residence before....
once again, This is Canadian section! @Dennis Alwon I don’t think your idea is working 😉

-The NEC does not apply here.

-Our addressable systems circuits do not have 4 wires and a com cable. (I don’t think yours do either?)

-All our fire alarm circuits must be grounded.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,704 Posts

·
Registered
Professional Electrical Engineer, construction industry.
153 Posts
Building code (Ontario Building Code?) Section 3.2.4 indicates what devices are required and where. CAN/ULC S-524 has the technical requirements for how to install each device type. All the building codes are free now but CAN/ULC S-524 is not. You can likely live without the CAN/ULC S-524.

Don't forget the bonding conductors, even in EMT. Keep the 2 & 4-conductor securex in the truck unless you are a fan of ripping out finished work. 3 and 5 conductor only for data circuits. For Bell / NAC circuits, #14AWG minimum, #12 is better. Always wire in-and-out, no pigtails or t-taps.

Class A on data circuits, Class B (or A) on NAC circuits. Don't forget your isolation modules. Any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Reactions: Nixon

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,647 Posts
Building code (Ontario Building Code?) Section 3.2.4 indicates what devices are required and where. CAN/ULC S-524 has the technical requirements for how to install each device type. All the building codes are free now but CAN/ULC S-524 is not. You can likely live without the CAN/ULC S-524.

Don't forget the bonding conductors, even in EMT. Keep the 2 & 4-conductor securex in the truck unless you are a fan of ripping out finished work. 3 and 5 conductor only for data circuits. For Bell / NAC circuits, #14AWG minimum, #12 is better. Always wire in-and-out, no pigtails or t-taps.

Class A on data circuits, Class B (or A) on NAC circuits. Don't forget your isolation modules. Any other questions I'd be happy to help.
CAN/ULC’s are free to view actually.

And the stuff you posted on wire sizes, bond in an EMT, and class A or B are good ideas, but not code requirements

1 - 20 of 25 Posts