Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial Electrical
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book or of some literature that would help with a better understanding of Fire Alarm wiring and styles

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book or of some literature that would help with a better understanding of Fire Alarm wiring and styles

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
We have a Fire Alarm System Agent license here and that's a good start for our guys.
Also, the suppliers here have manufacturers that put on classes.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
The newest NJATC Fire Alarm TEXT BOOK is a exelent source for general fire alarm information. Amazon should have it.

Just checked Amazon they have the brand new NJATC Fire Alarm TEXT BOOK but it is $96.00 . That is to much.
Go to Amazon type in NJATC Books on the second page there is one for $34.00 . That should be enough information to get you started. Anything eles you can talk to the fire alarm guys.
With modern systems supervised field wiring is the same regardless of the manufacturer.

LC

·
Registered
714 Posts
i was wondering if anyone knows of a good book or of some literature that would help with a better understanding of fire alarm wiring and styles

sent from my sm-g930w8 using tapatalk
c.f.a.a

Reactions: eddy current

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,899 Posts
The distributors I dealt with for parts and systems always had training and all kinds of literature, normally free.

And their classes usually supplied materials and food.

Reactions: SWDweller

·
Registered
497 Posts
It requires some basic contact knowledge. As for devices, you have a serial comm setup. This is on your SLC circuit. These devices are all addressed and get a "ping" from time to time to verify they are good. If they don't respond, a trouble is thrown. Incorrect address / no address / duplicate address tend to be issue there. These are things like your smokes, pull stations, etc.

Then you have hard-wired circuits that are monitored. They typically have a resistor across the contacts. This is how the notifier (horn-strobe) circuits are done. They must be in series, with a resistor at the end. Finally, in this same category, you have other devices, such as sprinkler system valves. They have contacts with a resistor across and a small addressed module. When the resistance is no longer read, the contacts are considered closed and a message is sent to the panel.

Pick your fire alarm guys brain if you get a chance. I did and it was well worth it.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,677 Posts

Not as well recognized. Here in Ontario.

What do you mean by not recognized? By who?

It is accepted by the fire marshal the same as CFAA.

it is less popular amongst non union electricians because CFAA is cheaper and union members can take the CFAE training for free.

Many electricians with CFAA are now switching to CFAE because the recertification process is much easier.

·
Registered
322 Posts
those books listed by others are good. Also, you can learn by reading the installation manuals that come with fire alarm panels. A good manual is any of ones at Silentknight.com They also have online classes that are free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not as well recognized. Here in Ontario.
Jumping in really late here. The CFAE is just as recognized it’s just not as common because its only available to licensed electricians. The CFAA is available to anyone with a heart beat and can be completed as fast as the student can move through it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts