Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
the best way is to follow the manufacturer's directions. Some manufacturers do not recommend using canned smoke in their detectors and insist on using the magnets they provide, used in the manner they direct, even though some fire marshalls or ahj's insist on using smoke. Pull stations should always be pulled to test operation. In any case, operation of each initiating device needs to be verified with a sequential and thorough test of each component individually. Flame and gas detectors should also be checked according to manufacturers, but again, some ahj's insist on live tests, which can shorten the life of the gas detectors and sometimes require recalibration. I think nfpa has a downloadable sheet somewhere on their site for suggested steps for FA inspections ?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
What is the best way to test smoke detectors and pull boxes?
Why is it whenever I ask a question here, I get an infantile response?
What methods have you thought of before you asked here? What have you tried that has faield in testing before? Some questions are very valid, some may seem like there is an obvious answer but there may be more behind the scenes than we know.... Circumstances of testing - in a school weekends may be an option, where as in a hospital that is occupied timing may be more difficult..

Had one guy ask me how to reset an older Edwards fixed heat detector after he used a heat gun on it to test... I said it's easy - buy a new one... Had he asked the question, which he may have thought had a simple answer, it would have saved the more embarrassing one later...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What methods have you thought of before you asked here? What have you tried that has faield in testing before? Some questions are very valid, some may seem like there is an obvious answer but there may be more behind the scenes than we know.... Circumstances of testing - in a school weekends may be an option, where as in a hospital that is occupied timing may be more difficult..

Had one guy ask me how to reset an older Edwards fixed heat detector after he used a heat gun on it to test... I said it's easy - buy a new one... Had he asked the question, which he may have thought had a simple answer, it would have saved the more embarrassing one later...

Your response is inappropriate, unlike the ones that actually offer useful information.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Silent Knight systems use canned smoke only....

System Sensor smokes which fit Firelite systems have a tiny hole with a plunger switch inside you depress...

You really need to check each manufactures "testing procedure" to get it right...'

Try looking here for an idea of what they want.. http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/I56-1800.pdf

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Smoke in a can, or magnet on a stick for the smokes.
An apprentice in running shoes and a walkie, and you sitting on a 4ft ladder for everything else.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Victory Pete said:
Your response is inappropriate, unlike the ones that actually offer useful information.
His response seems appropriate to me, this isn't elementary school where everyone has thin skin and gets offended easily. I saw nothing wrong with his response.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His response seems appropriate to me, this isn't elementary school where everyone has thin skin and gets offended easily. I saw nothing wrong with his response.
I am not surprised, there are many here with "sophomoric" behavior.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Unless you are licensed to test/inspect and certify fire alarm systems along with the necessary insurance you should consider hiring a third party agency who is licensed and insured for such testing and certifying.....unless of course you just want to ensure that the system is working properly before you do call that third party.

Then again...I could be sophmoric and giving you useless, innappropiate information:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unless you are licensed to test/inspect and certify fire alarm systems along with the necessary insurance you should consider hiring a third party agency who is licensed and insured for such testing and certifying.....unless of course you just want to ensure that the system is working properly before you do call that third party.

Then again...I could be sophmoric and giving you useless, innappropiate information:rolleyes:
Licensed in 3 states with insurance, tools and a van!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts