Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the ladder depicted is normally not used its always available for use but not normally used, that conduit was run behind it and qc argues that that cannot be done, anyone has any codes or references to these clearances.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
OSHA:
1910.23(d)(2)
The minimum perpendicular distance from the centerline of the steps or rungs, or grab bars, or both, to the nearest permanent object in back of the ladder is 7 inches (18 cm), except for elevator pit ladders, which have a minimum perpendicular distance of 4.5 inches (11 cm);

·
Registered
Electrician
2,310 Posts
That is a hazard and against OSHA regulations. The fact that is is not normally used is irrelevant in making it ok. The fact that it is for emergency makes it a bigger hazard as the person going up or down the ladder in an emergency will not pay as much attention to proper footing. I have almost fallen off a ladder for a pipe just like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just an update : apparently that's not a fire ladder or at least there's nothing that says it either is or is not a fire ladder and so ahj decided that pipe it's ok,,,,,,I swear sometimes a little common sense goes a long way but seems like we are missing any of it.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,522 Posts
just an update : apparently that's not a fire ladder or at least there's nothing that says it either is or is not a fire ladder and so ahj decided that pipe it's ok,,,,,,I swear sometimes a little common sense goes a long way but seems like we are missing any of it.
I would never put my name to that no matter what the AHJ says. If someone gets hurt it IS coming back to YOU in the lawsuit !!!

Cowboy

·
Hackenschmidt
13,588 Posts
I would never put my name to that no matter what the AHJ says. If someone gets hurt it IS coming back to YOU in the lawsuit !!!
The person that falls won't feel that much better about the fact the building wasn't on fire when it happened.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The OSHA reference I provided per your request doesn't care what the ladder is for. If an OSHA safety inspector spots it that will be at least one of the violation references issued in the findings. They also don't care about the local AHJ.

anyone has any codes or references to these clearances.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts