Electrician Talk banner

First day and things to have

14100 Views 45 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  MechanicalDVR
Hello all,
My first day is Monday as an apprentice. However the company I am going to be working for is surprisingly quiet on anything I need to bring. What did some of you need to bring/ know on your first day. Also if I am looking for tools of the trade can some of you recommend some good ones? I am as green as they get and just hoping for a bit more guidance.
Thank you in advance! :thumbup:
Reactions: brian john
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
4,232 Posts
The NJATC did provide you with a tool list, right? If not you can find it online. Klein are the tools that are customary to the trade, channel lock are acceptable.
You're required to have all your tools with you when you're on a project, but since you're "new" they may cut you some slack, as long as you make an effort to tool up.
Remember PPE and safety are the number one issue, so wear everything they give you. The contractor will provide everything you'll need safety wise.
Just make sure that you have a tape measure, and a sharpie, and toolbags.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya no... I have almost info on this. It is a private contractor but like I said they have given me almost no info except where to show up and what time. I did find the NJATC tool list though so I will go off that for now.

· Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,951 Posts
I would say bring a good attitude but you seem to have that already. I think you'll go far in our trade.

As far as tools goes, stay away from the cheap stuff. They won't last and it makes you look like you're not all that interested in the trade.

If a new guy shows up on my job with good tools and a good attitude, he's a ways ahead of most already. Plus, I'm more likely to give him good work and give the garbage to those who look like they don't care.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say bring a good attitude but you seem to have that already. I think you'll go far in our trade.

As far as tools goes, stay away from the cheap stuff. They won't last and it makes you look like you're not all that interested in the trade.

If a new guy shows up on my job with good tools and a good attitude, he's a ways ahead of most already. Plus, I'm more likely to give him good work and give the garbage to those who look like they don't care.
That's what i'm hoping for! I realize that there is going to be a time of grunt work but I just hope that they will eventually start me on a real project and anyway I can get that going faster would be great! I have a lot to learn but hope that it's something I can pick up somewhat quick and prove my worth. Anyway thank you for the reply it does help! :thumbsup:

· Hackenschmidt
14,374 Posts
MOST important IMO would be a sharpie, a pencil, and a pocket sized note pad. If someone's giving you instructions don't be shy about writing it down so you get it straight.

From the tool list I'd not get the whole union list - show up with

a small cheap tool pouch that snaps on your regular belt - by the way, wear a belt in such a manner that nobody has to look at your crack or drawers

linesman pliers - Kleins or Channellocks or Ideal
wire strippers - ideal or milwaukee
multi-tip screwdriver - Lenox, Enders or whatever
folding utility knife - doesn't matter much, none of them are that great
a 2xAA LED flashlight
fatmax tape measure - 16' or 25'

Ask them your first day what else you should bring.

Good thing not to bring: your phone - or leave it in your car, or at least stay off it except at lunch.

· Registered
3,564 Posts
Buy an assortment of cheap tools and use them until you actually know how to use them properly.

Don't be the guy that invests in Snap-on then misuses them.

· Registered
955 Posts
Donuts. A good apprentice always brings donuts.

Not a bad idea, I like that, hahaha. Donuts might be perceived as a little too kissass by the rest of the crew, but soft pretzels are a good in between. And maybe you wait until your second day...then you know how many to bring...

Back on topic, I would never fault a new apprentice for lacking tools, not on day one.

1) your attitude is number one, you seem to have that covered, don't lose it.

2) being humble and willing to learn, but not grab your ankles humble, welcome constructive criticism humble, ask for guidance.

3) dress prepared for work. Work boots, pants without a bunch of holes, a shirt in decent shape with minimal or appropriate printing (infamous story of the worker with the Bud Light shirt in the Coors brewery comes to mind) and good basic personal hygiene. You would not dress like you're working in a trench doing duct banks when you're actually working in a finished/occupied office building. (This will be easier with experience, dress middle of the road if you don't know and have backup clothes in your vehicle)

4) I see no reason why you would get a hard time with having only side cutters, channel locks, utility knife, multi tip screwdriver, tape measure and a hammer on day one. Figure out what type of work your doing on this job and adjust accordingly. Get a paycheck or two in the bank, see what the other guys use in person, shop around a little then start tooling up.

Good luck!

· No Tie Self
59 Posts
On site I carry an old nylon wallet containing a golf pencil, 3/16" magnetic impact socket bit, 5/32" masonry drill bit, double-ended P2 & 3/16 slotted screwdriver bit.

It's sickening how much time gets wasted looking for that little stuff

· Registered
948 Posts
Hello all,
My first day is Monday as an apprentice. However the company I am going to be working for is surprisingly quiet on anything I need to bring. What did some of you need to bring/ know on your first day. Also if I am looking for tools of the trade can some of you recommend some good ones? I am as green as they get and just hoping for a bit more guidance.
Thank you in advance! :thumbup:
Monday is a holiday. I wouldn't show up unless you want to be the only one there and if they are working on Memorial day I would find a new contractor to work for.

· Registered
66 Posts
First things first; show your enthusiasm for the trade and learning everything you can as fast as you can, start by asking the employer if they have a list of tools they want you to have on the first day, also ask them what is an appropriate shirt to wear. If all else fails a plain white tshirt with no stains or holes will generally be ok, blue jeans, work boots, and a sturdy leather belt will serve you well for the duration of your career as a base uniform.
Remember: tools are how you earn your living; treat them as if your life depends on them and they will serve you well for many years, treat them like crap and they will fail on you when you need them the most. Buy quality tools and don't get every new tool that comes out or looks cool, they generally aren't much better than the ones you already have. The list that splatz recommends is a good base set of tools to get you started. Get the Ideal T-strippers for about $12 you can't go wrong. The Milwaukee Fastback utility knife with the wire pocket clip will clip into your tool pouch pockets so I would highly recommend that one.

That should be more than enough to get the first day done. Good luck and Welcome to the trade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems the general idea here is:

1) Be silent
2) Listen well
3) be excited to be there

I am very excited to be joining such a great career field! I am so impatient to start and learn all I can as fast as I can. I actually currently work as tech support for a web hosting company, which is partially why it'll be so great to get and move around rather than sit for 8 hours a day. Also electrician work has always interested me. Anyway I would love to hear what more of you would bring/do on the first day, as well as possibly a few tales about all your first days! Thanks for the support and great advice!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.