Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats - As a reminder , keep documented proof of your hours in the trade.
We have what鈥檚 called the CCQ that manages everything in the construction trade in Quebec, they鈥檙e also the ones who manage our cards and whatnot. The rallies are all banked and officially noted. 馃檪

Electrical Contractor
Good work.
800? Thats only 6 months. Doesnt Quebec need 2000 including school for level 4?

Registered
Scada Supervisor
Seems like just the other day you posted this.
Water Rectangle Font Violet Magenta

Now when you make JW the real learning starts for the rest of your career.

Cowboy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work.
800? Thats only 6 months. Doesnt Quebec need 2000 including school for level 4?
There鈥檚 a new rule out that all hours accumulated in school are now worth 1.5x their amount AND you only need 85% of the required 8000 hours to test.
There鈥檚 too many apprentices and not enough jmen in the ratio so they did that to resolve the issue.

Registered
We have what鈥檚 called the CCQ that manages everything in the construction trade in Quebec, they鈥檙e also the ones who manage our cards and whatnot. The rallies are all banked and officially noted. 馃檪
Great... but nevertheless...
I was told and followed that advice until my last working day--->
SAVE EVERY PAYSTUB. Save every union card, dues receipt, and the annual W-2's from every employer... They'll come in handy should somebody make a mistake and your hours/ pension credits aren't "in the system..."

(Also any printed, mailed statements involving your money.)

And mistakes DO happen, and sometimes the "mistake" is an "on purpose."

We've caught contractors not reporting overtime hours or, improperly logging O/T hours when submitting their payrolls to the union hall. The 1st hour of O/T after 7 straight hours doesn't require any additional "fringes" paid to our benefit/ pension funds... but each subsequent hour does so... some contractors would work you on a Saturday or an extra shift at night, detached from your normal workday, which is time-and-a-half... and report 5 of those hours as an 8th hour worked each weekday..., paying the correct premium wage but, would skim 5 hours of benefits and fringes from your wages and the fringes contribution by claiming on paper you worked 5 8-hour days and 2 or 3 premium OT hours.

Ya gotta "CYA" because contractors play dirty... And even the union can make a data entry error preventing you from getting your full pension credit for the hours worked (if you happen to be laid off or take a leave of absence or, for whatever reason not working enough annual hours to count for a pension credit or excess pension credit(s) towards your defined benefit pension when you retire.)

**Back way back when... oftentimes a non-union contractor would work a prevailing wage job, but not pay the actual weekly wage or benefits to their employees, likely unbeknownst to the employees themselves, but they had a habit of tossing their paycheck envelope and paystub into the trash... which we would fish out to legally nail by filing charges against the contractor, and that triggers a 7 year, or more depending on the severity of the transgression... ban on any and all public works contracts, including those they haven't even started yet.

Electrical Contractor
I don鈥檛 know what makes you so happy, Martine, but I need to get me some of that. 馃槉
Her little monster makes her happy. Somehow I dont think that would work out for you lol

Reactions: Martine and canbug

Registered
Scada Supervisor
Great... but nevertheless...
I was told and followed that advice until my last working day--->
SAVE EVERY PAYSTUB. Save every union card, dues receipt, and the annual W-2's from every employer... They'll come in handy should somebody make a mistake and your hours/ pension credits aren't "in the system..."
^^^^^^ This is important, you never know. I served my apprenticeship with the federal government when it was all paper and I got my IBEW card before computers also. Fast forward 35 years and I may of needed to challenge CO for a license. Lost all my papers in my house fire, Government base I worked at closed so you know how that goes to find paperwork. Union said those were not converted to computer.
Lucky I still had my IBEW card in an old wallet that survived and was told that would work if needed.

So keep records.

Cowboy

Reactions: LGLS

Electrical Contractor
Its funny you mentioned pre computer records. Over the years, I had lost my Red Seal certificate. Decided I wanted a copy, so went down to the Apprenticeship branch. I got the deer in the headlights stare when I told the girl what date to look for. She had no idea how to go about it and was explaining when an older lady walked by. She laughed and said she'd look after it, as she knew exactly where the old records were.

Reactions: just the cowboy
1 - 20 of 34 Posts