Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
800 more hours until I can take my jwoman exam!
FIFY :)

Congrats on the milestone, and I also can't believe how the time flew by !
Really only seems a year ago, maybe 2, when you first joined as a new apprentice.

Well done Martine !

Gold Pliers Champion
Great... but nevertheless...
I was told and followed that advice until my last working day--->
SAVE EVERY PAYSTUB. Save every union card, dues receipt, and the annual W-2's from every employer... They'll come in handy should somebody make a mistake and your hours/ pension credits aren't "in the system..."

(Also any printed, mailed statements involving your money.)

And mistakes DO happen, and sometimes the "mistake" is an "on purpose."

We've caught contractors not reporting overtime hours or, improperly logging O/T hours when submitting their payrolls to the union hall. The 1st hour of O/T after 7 straight hours doesn't require any additional "fringes" paid to our benefit/ pension funds... but each subsequent hour does so... some contractors would work you on a Saturday or an extra shift at night, detached from your normal workday, which is time-and-a-half... and report 5 of those hours as an 8th hour worked each weekday..., paying the correct premium wage but, would skim 5 hours of benefits and fringes from your wages and the fringes contribution by claiming on paper you worked 5 8-hour days and 2 or 3 premium OT hours.

Ya gotta "CYA" because contractors play dirty... And even the union can make a data entry error preventing you from getting your full pension credit for the hours worked (if you happen to be laid off or take a leave of absence or, for whatever reason not working enough annual hours to count for a pension credit or excess pension credit(s) towards your defined benefit pension when you retire.)

**Back way back when... oftentimes a non-union contractor would work a prevailing wage job, but not pay the actual weekly wage or benefits to their employees, likely unbeknownst to the employees themselves, but they had a habit of tossing their paycheck envelope and paystub into the trash... which we would fish out to legally nail by filing charges against the contractor, and that triggers a 7 year, or more depending on the severity of the transgression... ban on any and all public works contracts, including those they haven't even started yet.

Great job @Martine keep up the good work.

Believe or or not I actually agree with @LGLS on this one.

DO NOT count on someone else to record your working hours.
Even if someone else is doing it, you should have your own journal, write everything down every day.

Banned
Great job @Martine keep up the good work.

Believe or or not I actually agree with @LGLS on this one.

DO NOT count on someone else to record your working hours.
Even if someone else is doing it, you should have your own journal, write everything down every day.
And to keep any journal legal and admissable in court, the journal book must have bound pages where a tearout would be obvious, and never tear out any pages. If you make an incorrect entry, cross it out but leave it legible, and circle the errors and initial. Date every entry and timestamp it, and note things unique and memorable to that day or a very recent day such as the weather, which can be researched... Note though I never journaled my hours but it's not a bad idea especially if the local your working in seems a little ratty or "off". If you run any work, journal that every day like a diary. You can come up with an abbreviation code to develop a kind of shorthand too, just have a key translation and be consistant throught the journal. Log your hours, your worked-thru lunches or breaks, who was late or absent, who cut out early, got sick or committed a major feaux-pah. And who and when is constantly being found not in their work assignment and just ignoring their responsibility to the union and the contract... Journal signigigant events like minor and major accidents or injuries, including to equipment. "Asked for the 200 amp backboxes, x 40... told delivery tomorrow... and when they actually came and that some were dented or crushed or used or whatever...

Running work turns into a rear view mirror blurry vortex of confusion easily, and when someone claims you screwed up when you didn't, you got ypur own diary as a backup witness. "Boss (name) told me use the #8 on the truck to do the bonding when contract calls for #6 or #4... inspector so and so caught this on Wed Aug 1 and rejected it, had to re-order proper material and do over... wasted manhours: 48. This sounds awfully paranoid but you won't believe the people you thought had your back that turn you into a scapegoat if it's their arse on the chopping block.

Light Bender
plumber
Congrats @Martine.

So how does it work there in 鈥淟a belle province鈥?

Do you first write a provincial exam, and then write the Inter-Provincial Red seal?

Do you have to write the provincial first or can you skip it and right the IP exam?

Registered
800 more hours until I can take my jman exam!

my wallet is going to thank me for the 6$/h raise, that鈥檚 for sure 馃槄
I remember saying those exact words regarding getting my licenses. Yesterday I turned 70, and I have been retired for 9 months. Damn time does fly, DO NOT wish your next 800 hours away, my early years in the trade were fun, and I made many lifelong friends.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Congrats @Martine.

So how does it work there in 鈥淟a belle province鈥?

Do you first write a provincial exam, and then write the Inter-Provincial Red seal?

Do you have to write the provincial first or can you skip it and right the IP exam?
I can鈥檛 skip the provincial, Quebec thinks they鈥檙e much too important for that. I鈥檒l be doing the provincial first and then the inter at some point but probably not just yet, since I鈥檒l have to study the Canadian code which I never go off of, since we have our own provincial code.

Banned
I remember saying those exact words regarding getting my licenses. Yesterday I turned 70, and I have been retired for 9 months. Damn time does fly, DO NOT wish your next 800 hours away, my early years in the trade were fun, and I made many lifelong friends.
OH C'MON BRIAN...

Be honest with us, but more importantly, yourself.

NOT just "The early years, amirite? Or at least, have I not pegged you just a touch???

ALL your years were fantastic, and I'll bet you wouldn't change a one of 'em, not one iota.

-DDD

Registered
FIFY :)

Congrats on the milestone, and I also can't believe how the time flew by !
Really only seems a year ago, maybe 2, when you first joined as a new apprentice.

Well done Martine !
And she did one thing few apprentices do,
1. she searched for an online forum to assist in her learning a trade
2. she stuck with us
3. She asked questions and none were ever considered as dumb questions.

If I was still in business you would be on my list for employment. NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Light Bender
plumber
I can鈥檛 skip the provincial, Quebec thinks they鈥檙e much too important for that. I鈥檒l be doing the provincial first and then the inter at some point but probably not just yet, since I鈥檒l have to study the Canadian code which I never go off of, since we have our own provincial code.

Lol, of course.

FYI, the 2018 Quebec code is the 2015 Canadian code with a few amendments.

Only the blue (or green I can鈥檛 remember) pages at the beginning are Quebec rules.

The rest of the book is the 2015 Canadian code.

Registered
Congrats on sticking in there. Study the qualifications and keep your records.I had to do just that thank goodness I had my records and was able to prove my hours. Now retired 17 years. Good luck 馃榿 馃檭

Banned
And she did one thing few apprentices do,
1. she searched for an online forum to assist in her learning a trade
2. she stuck with us
3. She asked questions and none were ever considered as dumb questions.

If I was still in business you would be on my list for employment. NEVER STOP LEARNING.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
And one of the BEST features on this whole board. Always have bee as well... and a perfect gentleman, even when on occasion I was a dlck to you. You let me just roll...

And so, If I may... re-post my old moniker other than "Pappa, watch me fly!"

"and I learn, in whatever state I may be,
Therein to be content."

Banned
Happened to me early in my career - NYC had it's own codes and did not EVER adopt the NEC, so this will make you feel better, perhaps better than better:

You only need to study the DIFFERENCES between each of those standards.

Because you'll likely figure out, they're already pretty close, closer than you assumed.
NYC still has amendments that contradict the NEC, which they finally adopted back a couple decades ago but, they were never that far apart anyways, plus since much of my work for different city or state "authorities," ALSO each has it's OWN code book as well and... all those exceptions pretty much repeat across all those "special" agencies.

You've been a great contributer here Martine... this board is better off with you than without.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thank god you posted a selfie on a board full of horny old men to document this joyous occasion
My dude, who hurt you? I鈥檝e seen countless selfies on the job, pictures of gardens, meals, grandkids and plenty of other stuff. I posted a picture of myself AT WORK, proud of my accomplishment. Comments were congratulatory, about hours, reminiscing, passing exams and other non horny related comments.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts