Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Know how to price my labour correctly and have a good idea how long it takes to wire a home. This house is 2400sqft. 1 story with finished basement. For figuring out how much wire you need, do you guys just measure the walls on the drawing? Or do you have a more efficient way of figuring things out. What methods are tried and true for bidding on new construction homes? Here is the drawing https://www.dropbox.com/s/81k3yd90ww8jpbj/A2.pdf
Keep in mind the lighting diagram is incorrect. 87 pot lights will be installed based on where the GC wants them

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Know how to price my labour correctly and have a good idea how long it takes to wire a home. This house is 2400sqft. 1 story with finished basement. For figuring out how much wire you need, do you guys just measure the walls on the drawing? Or do you have a more efficient way of figuring things out. What methods are tried and true for bidding on new construction homes? Here is the drawing https://www.dropbox.com/s/81k3yd90ww8jpbj/A2.pdf
Keep in mind the lighting diagram is incorrect. 87 pot lights will be installed based on where the GC wants them
Measurements from you prints will give you a good number.

Buy 1000 foot reals you'll save some bucks that way,and take the wire with you at the end of each the day unless it can be locked up somehow.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Measurements from you prints will give you a good number.

Buy 1000 foot reals you'll save some bucks that way,and take the wire with you at the end of each the day unless it can be locked up somehow.
Good point. Reels save buckets of time. Speaking about buckets, also buy a bucket of romex staples.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Price per opening.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Good point. Reels save buckets of time. Speaking about buckets, also buy a bucket of romex staples.
I don't have much experience with new house wiring, but shouldn't coils on good spinners be just as efficient as reels, if not more so since they are easier to move around?

Another aspect of using coils of wire is that you can place them around the house where the homerun goes to and walk back to the panel pulling many homeruns at a time.

·
3rd Generation
1,638 Posts
I don't get any break or hit by buying between rolls and reels. Rolls are much easier for me and easier to distribute wire across numerous people

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I prefer reels over rolls most of the time. I set the reels up in the middle of the house somewhere and pull off them. I net every pull and try not to make any waste. do have a wire cart that will hold 3 reels but its big bulkie and pretty rusty at this point.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
That's the way i was taught, but have just been using some nails and a bender and putting it somewhere convenient or a ladder with some conduit or a ground rod slid through the steps lately. I like reels because you don't have to roll out the wire before you pull through studs if you don't have a spinner, which I don't. Plus it means I only have waste at the end of a 1000' reel instead of 4 250' rolls

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
There's no such thing as waste.

18' and above gets used.
6-17' gets coiled up and used for service work.
Less than 6' gets cut into 11" pigtails and put into a container.
If I did that, my van would be filled to the brim with scrap pieces of romex that are always too short for what I want to do. BTDT.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If you're smart you'll use up scrap , either with short runs or pigtails on the rough out...~CS~
When I am doing a box that needs pigtails, I grab a piece of scrap and slap it on top of the box. Short runs are always a foot longer than the scrap pieces laying around, so all I've done is wasted the time of digging scrap pieces of romex out of the van, that is all beat up, roll it out, try to use it, its too short, throw it against the wall in anger, and end up going to the truck and grabbing a roll anyway, so why bother?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts