Electrician Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I've seen LED disk flglights that sit on top of the flagpole . Now they look sharp.

·
Yeah your gonna get wet !
90 Posts
I install outdoor landscape lighting and have done many flag poles. Here is my advice.

Do not use any of the lights suggested in this post. Most of them are overpriced. All the suggested lights are die cast aluminum and will be damaged and need to be replaced. The reason I say they will be damaged is because 99% of the time they will be installed in a grass area. What happens in a grass area? It gets cut, and the lawn jockey on the mower will hit by the third cut. If he misses it, the guy on the weed whacker will get it. If it is in a landscape area the guy trimming the bushes will kick it and damage it.

Also the lights mentioned so far are flood lights. Using this type of light will fill the surrounding area with light and not hi light the flag at all. You want to use a spot light to light the flag.

This is how I would set them up.

Use 12 volt lighting. It is easier to install and easier to add to if needed. Plus the fixtures are built better and you have a better choice of bulbs to use.

I would use four of these fixtures (the tank). This is made of solid brass and lives up to its name. I have never had one break yet.
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Volt-lighting-spot-light-p/130.htm

130-3T.jpg

I would set them 5 feet from pole shining straight up.
I would use a 38degree 50 watt LED MR 16 bulb.
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Low-Voltage-Landscape-LED-Bulbs-s/162.htm

A 300 watt transformer with an astronomic timer set for sundown to sunrise.

Please use a UL listed transformer with fused protected 12 volt output. The reason I say this is most installs done by electricians use a step down transformer without secondary protection. Mount transformer and timer outside of house for ease of maintenance.

I can assure you this will look better, last longer and be more profitable.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I'm surprised that Electric_Light hasn't stopped by to tell you are a communist and a pedophile for wanting to use LED lighting :whistling2:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Doc got a link?
Its a solar set up, costs is about $55. Old neighbor got one, looked like line voltage by the amount of light it threw.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Its a solar set up, costs is about $55. Old neighbor got one, looked like line voltage by the amount of light it threw.
was that the one that was shining in your window ?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts

·
Wyome
757 Posts
If you are going to install these luminaires on the ground pointing up, and if you do go with led lighting, consider the fact that led lights do not get hot enough to melt snow off of themselves. The snow will cover the lens until you, or someone else, brushes it off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts