Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just started up a small one man business and was curious what you guys use for flat rate books/software?

·
Conduit Extraordinare
2,365 Posts
Hi all,
I've just started up a small one man business and was curious what you guys use for flat rate books/software?
I made one. It is in excel. I then loaded it on my tablet in both spread sheet form (highly formatted and looking good) and pdf. Pdf works like a price list. Spreadsheet will transfer qth, description, price, etc to a work order.

It seems the pdf is easier, then I just and write a work order / invoice.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I started doing flat rate after reading about it from this website.. I just make up my own prices as best I can guess, then alter them after the job if I'm off.. and I'm almost always off.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I do prefer T&M for some of my customers that we're both comfortable and trust each other. It's an honest way to do work, they don't get gouged and I won't lose money.

Though for strangers I just prefer to quote.. then they have already moved on by the time invoicing comes, no surprises and no long explanations about what all the costs are and why this material costs so much.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Very ignorant comment.
Just because you couldn't (4 Times) does not mean that I can't.
T & M is the worst pricing method as you are limited by time. You are also constrained by the perception of the customer that his hourly rate is a benchmark.

I guess if all you want is enough to buy groceries and pay your bar bill then T & M would be just the ticket.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I do prefer T&M for some of my customers that we're both comfortable and trust each other. It's an honest way to do work, they don't get gouged and I won't lose money.

Though for strangers I just prefer to quote.. then they have already moved on by the time invoicing comes, no surprises and no long explanations about what all the costs are and why this material costs so much.
So are you gouging your customers you flat rate?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
So are you gouging your customers you flat rate?
Hey I see the value in flat rate as a business.. it makes me money, so yeah often I see it as gouging.

But for some customers I work well with and we have a good relationship, I prefer time and materials. I get paid my fair wage, and they get the work done for less than if I had flat rated it.

Both have value, though I prefer the flat rate system for strangers or difficult customers because the sticker shock comes BEFORE the invoice is presented to them. If they don't like the price, hire someone else.. I don't like doing the work and then they hate the price.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Hey I see the value in flat rate as a business.. it makes me money, so yeah often I see it as gouging.

But for some customers I work well with and we have a good relationship, I prefer time and materials. I get paid my fair wage, and they get the work done for less than if I had flat rated it.

Both have value, though I prefer the flat rate system for strangers or difficult customers because the sticker shock comes BEFORE the invoice is presented to them. If they don't like the price, hire someone else.. I don't like doing the work and then they hate the price.
Well if working for a wage is your goal then T & M is a perfect fit .

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Well if working for a wage is your goal then T & M is a perfect fit .
Yeah not everybody wants to be Enron. :laughing:

I try to run an honest electrical service.. I just like flat rate because there's no surprises to the customer at the end. Some jobs I don't make enough, some I make too much. It balances out to basically how I would love a perfect world of T&M.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Yeah not everybody wants to be Enron. :laughing:

I try to run an honest electrical service.. I just like flat rate because there's no surprises to the customer at the end. Some jobs I don't make enough, some I make too much. It balances out to basically how I would love a perfect world of T&M.
Well when customers stop complaining about getting charged an hour when you were only their 45 minutes and don't expect you to work for the 15/hr they get then it would be a perfect T & M world.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Not sure if we're arguing or agreeing. :blink:

Got my first tip yesterday... The people had a combo washer/dryer in their condo, but bought new machines and needed a breaker installed and the washer conductor hooked up. Charged him $120+tax for the 2mins of work.. guy gave me $20 cash tip.

He was surprised that I was surprised to get a tip. :laughing:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Got my first tip yesterday... The people had a combo washer/dryer in their condo, but bought new machines and needed a breaker installed and the washer conductor hooked up. Charged him $120+tax for the 2mins of work.. guy gave me $20 cash tip.

Why did you give that job away?:blink:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

I would think getting a tip might indicate the customer (as well as some of us) thinks the price was too low.

Reactions: Chris1971
1 - 20 of 35 Posts