Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently put in some wiring for a hoist. From the octagon on the ceiling halfway down the hoist track, boss put a Kellem grip on some cabtyre/SO wire and then a spring screwed under a PVC strap for flexibility. I personally thought it looked like **** and looked pretty hack but I don't know any other way to do it. What do you guys do when you need an extra long power drop cord for something like that and what connectors and such?

·
Registered
Master Electrician
2,962 Posts
Recently put in some wiring for a hoist. From the octagon on the ceiling halfway down the hoist track, boss put a Kellem grip on some cabtyre/SO wire and then a spring screwed under a PVC strap for flexibility. I personally thought it looked like **** and looked pretty hack but I don't know any other way to do it. What do you guys do when you need an extra long power drop cord for something like that and what connectors and such?
Do the same thing except usually use an eye bolt for the spring. Not sure I have any pictures, but it is a pretty standard install.

Cheers

John

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
The PVC strap sounds dubious, otherwise sounds pretty bog standard to me.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,325 Posts
What does the spring do in that application?

·
Registered
Master Electrician
2,962 Posts
To be honest, I think it is a throwback from the hazardous area section where the cables had to have a form of strain relief other than the connector itself.

Perhaps garages had this classification at one time. I know in industry it has been a specification too.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
A spring provides 'forgiveness' -- so that you have a few inches of stretch when the crew is fiddling with the other end.

It's like the toe-warning lip sometimes seen on scaffolds. It tells the guy -- "Hey, you're right at the edge -- dummy!"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does the spring do in that application?
For my situation it provides a lot of of extra flexibility. It was next to a 20 foot hoist track so it needed to be able to stretch a good amount without having a giant coil of wire touching the floor at the start position.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,154 Posts
I've used these sky-ties as well:

Reactions: Navyguy

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,325 Posts
Hah! The light finally came on!

I initially thought of a vehicle hoist but you are talking about an electric chain/cable hoist, correct? In that case, I can see the purpose of the spring.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hah! The light finally came on!

I initially thought of a vehicle hoist but you are talking about an electric chain/cable hoist, correct? In that case, I can see the purpose of the spring.
Yes it's a big suction cup hoist to lift up pieces of plywood and such and take them one way or another.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,154 Posts
Those look onteresting
What specific application are these for compared to a Kellem grip and spring?

These are nice mid run as they split in two so you wouldn't have to slide the kellems a long way.

I didn't know they made a kellems grip with a spring, I've only seen the open end and connector end types.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are nice mid run as they split in two so you wouldn't have to slide the kellems a long way.

I didn't know they made a kellems grip with a spring, I've only seen the open end and connector end types.
No the spring was seperate. It was a normal open ended grip, then one of those springs with the two hooks poking out the end (sorry, don't know what they're called) and then that hook was attached to a loung, extra-springy spring which was attached to the ceiling via a strap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts