Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer replaced some LED lamps in recessed fixtures in his kitchen. Said all the fixtures started strobing. Then he put in an incandescent with the remaining LED's still in and all the lights went out. Removed the incandescent and they came back on. Are LED's incompatible with another light on the same switch?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes a dimmer is installed. Original LED's and LED dimmer (by me). Owner went to HD and got more LED lamps. That's where the problem begins. I was thinking maybe the dimmer had an attitude.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Service Call said:
Customer replaced some LED lamps in recessed fixtures in his kitchen. Said all the fixtures started strobing. Then he put in an incandescent with the remaining LED's still in and all the lights went out. Removed the incandescent and they came back on. Are LED's incompatible with another light on the same switch?
. I usually use lutron's universal dimmers ( incandescent , cfl , and led ) , with no issue . I have had problems with lithonia LED retrofit trims though . If you try dimming them too low they hum and flicker . Halo work nice . They haven't quite gotten all the bugs out of the LED technology yet , but it's getting better .

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
. I usually use lutron's universal dimmers ( incandescent , cfl , and led ) , with no issue . I have had problems with lithonia LED retrofit trims though . If you try dimming them too low they hum and flicker .
If you use the Lutron Maestro's, you can actually set a cut out point, so that they won't hum and flicker when dimming too low.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
If you use the Lutron Maestro's, you can actually set a cut out point, so that they won't hum and flicker when dimming too low.
. Yes , I know this , but the lithonia's I had trouble with , would barely dim at all without a lot of noise and flickering . I took them back and tried halo's version and it was a major improvement . What I still don't like with the LEDs , is the color change upon dimming . They go from a nice warm white ( 3,000K )to what appears to be cool white ( 4100K ) , when dimmed low . I do however love the output , the lack of room heating because they don't produce much heat , and the extremely minimal current draw .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts