Electrician Talk banner

Florida tools

3K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  nrp3 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am a spark from the UK visiting US next month (Florida).. what are the best make snips/side cutters that you guys use over there? UK best make is probably knipex. I’ve looked at some sites and Fujiya seems to be popular in US?
also what shop should I look for over in Florida that will have a great selection please? I may as well buy when there instead of crazy shipping charges on eBay etc. Do you have a tool station shop there?
Any help appreciated thanks 🙏🏻
Paul

#2 ·
Diagonal cutters [dikes], or linesmans? Either way I'm a big fan of Channellock brand, made in Meadsville Pa. Second choice is Ideal, made in Sycomore Illinois. If you hit a SH, 9 times out of 10 it'll have a huge Klein display, and a tiny spot for Ideal and Channellock. I like the size and shape of the Channellock linesmans, but it's a subjective thing.
May as well grab an Estwing leather handle claw hammer while you're here.

#4 ·
Ok than
Diagonal cutters [dikes], or linesmans? Either way I'm a big fan of Channellock brand, made in Meadsville Pa. Second choice is Ideal, made in Sycomore Illinois. If you hit a SH, 9 times out of 10 it'll have a huge Klein display, and a tiny spot for Ideal and Channellock. I like the size and shape of the Channellock linesmans, but it's a subjective thing.
May as well grab an Estwing leather handle claw hammer while you're here.
Okay thanks for that. The snips I want (is that what you guys call them?) are for cutting domestic copper cables etc.. making off sockets and switches. 150-170mm length ones like this..

I will look for the ones you recommend .. but just for the record… has anyone tried these ones and are they able to be bought out there?
thanks
Paul

#3 ·
Personally I like the
Klein Tools D228-8 Pliers, Diagonal Cutting Pliers

They are short jawed and have what is called high leverage. The Box Stores might have them, supply houses for sure.

Reactions: MikeFL
#8 ·
Power Plan the link you provided is like the standard Klein side cutters. I also like these cause they are curved

I choose tools like I do women, by feel. There are lots of MFG's out there and they all make tools. When you find a display handle all the ones that they have until you find something that feels good in your hands.

#10 ·
Power Plan the link you provided is like the standard Klein side cutters. I also like these cause they are curved

I choose tools like I do women, by feel. There are lots of MFG's out there and they all make tools. When you find a display handle all the ones that they have until you find something that feels good in your hands.
That's a pretty good way to get slapped in the face, but maybe you had more handsome sauce than I did........

Reactions: CWL
#14 ·
#13 ·
You should also get some actual Channellocks. Channellock is the company name and they make a full line of excellent pliers but their original tool was groove joint pliers. They were so popular for so long that people call any brand of that type of pliers Channellocks.

Knipex makes very good groove joint pliers, but Channellocks actually grab better. I have tested them many times, one on either side of a stuck threaded coupling, and the Knipex always slip before the Channellocks. If it's really stuck you need two Channellocks so you better bring home two pairs.

As a bonus, Channellocks are inexpensive and available at Home Depot which you can't get far from in the US.

#22 ·
You should also get some actual Channellocks. Channellock is the company name and they make a full line of excellent pliers but their original tool was groove joint pliers. They were so popular for so long that people call any brand of that type of pliers Channellocks.

Knipex makes very good groove joint pliers, but Channellocks actually grab better. I have tested them many times, one on either side of a stuck threaded coupling, and the Knipex always slip before the Channellocks. If it's really stuck you need two Channellocks so you better bring home two pairs.

As a bonus, Channellocks are inexpensive and available at Home Depot which you can't get far from in the US.
Ok thanks for all that I shall look for them

#15 ·
I’ve looked at some sites and Fujiya seems to be popular in US?
<Link to Fujiya>
I will look for the ones you recommend .. but just for the record… has anyone tried these ones and are they able to be bought out there?
thanks
I have never heard of Fujiya but I have some excellent tools made in Japan so I took a look at that web site, especially the company history page.

Fujiya - The Pliers and Nippers Company. - HISTORY (fujiya-kk.com)

Stuff like this had me thinking I'd give the brand a try

Font Wood Picture frame Rectangle Signage

But this part put me off - I am not a fan of Vietnamese manufactured tools. I'd be concerned buying their tools online whether what I'm buying is made in Japan or made in Viet Nam. Most of the time they don't fill in the country of origin on Amazon etc., and when they do half the time they're lying. Or it's made in Viet Nam and they shrink the handles on in Japan and call that "made in Japan." :(

Product Font Material property Logo Brand

#18 ·
I must be missing something. Why would a Brit buy German pliers in the US?

I don’t own any Klown hand tools and don’t plan on buying any. Read the old threads about breaking in new pliers - soak them in oil, bury them in sand, run over them with your truck, plastic explosives, whatever. With German pliers, there’s no such nonsense.

#23 ·
I see that the Fujiya linemans are in a Project Farm video, they look pretty good - I might try them, I'll just be careful to pick something made in Japan not Viet Nam. (I like the project farm tests but a lot of the tests he does, I wouldn't base a purchase on. For example I don't pick linemans based on how well they twist screws, that would be like buying a screwdriver for how well it mixs paint. The Channellocks did the best on the tests that matter most to me.

Japan vs German Pliers (LINEMAN)? Knipex vs Vampliers, Fujita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Channellock - YouTube

#24 ·
I see that the Fujiya linemans are in a Project Farm video, they look pretty good - I might try them, I'll just be careful to pick something made in Japan not Viet Nam. (I like the project farm tests but a lot of the tests he does, I wouldn't base a purchase on. For example I don't pick linemans based on how well they twist screws, that would be like buying a screwdriver for how well it mixs paint. The Channellocks did the best on the tests that matter most to me.

Japan vs German Pliers (LINEMAN)? Knipex vs Vampliers, Fujita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Channellock - YouTube
I use Wiha made in Viet Nam and they’re good.

#30 ·
Take a look at Home Depot online and see what they offer for electricians tools. Lowe's will also be common down there. They have electrician's tools in the electrical department plus a separate tool area with all kinds hand tools. The areas may also have different brands of the same thing, screwdrivers, etc. There are usually plenty of supply houses that may have some selection of either Ideal or Klein tools. Probably the two most common tool lines here, hand tools that is.

Headed in your direction Saturday night. Passed by a few of your supply houses the last couple of visits in London and want to stop in and look just to see the differences. If I have time, I may.

#32 ·
Lowes will have Ideal brand tools in the electrical section, along with Kobalt the house brand (ick). If you have the odd combination screw heads that are supposed to fit a Phillips or straight head screwdriver but actually fit neither, get one of the Ideal combo tip screwdrivers, excellent.

Tool World, the section with hand and power tools, will have a section with Channellock pliers of all shapes and sizes.

Home Depot is a bit of a mystery to me as the closest one is 45 minutes away.

If you happen by a SH that has a Allen Bradley sign, or Square D, ask to see a real NEMA starter. It’ll drop your voice an octave, and put hair on your chest.

#40 ·
Hi all, I am a spark from the UK visiting US next month (Florida).. what are the best make snips/side cutters that you guys use over there? UK best make is probably knipex. I’ve looked at some sites and Fujiya seems to be popular in US?
also what shop should I look for over in Florida that will have a great selection please? I may as well buy when there instead of crazy shipping charges on eBay etc. Do you have a tool station shop there?
Any help appreciated thanks 🙏🏻
Paul
Florida isn't just one city, I live in the southern part. If we have a project in the NW part of the state, its a 12 hour day to drive there.
As for American tools:
9" linemans pliers from Klein
Channellocks 420s or 430s Channellocks
Screw drivers Klein
Small cable cutters: Klein
Tin Snips: Weiss

You can find a City Electric in and town of a decent size in Florida.
Download their App and locate a branch near you.
They have all of our common tools and none of the commie stuff

Real American electricians don't use commie branded Burger King colored tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.