Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Clicked on the banner ad for the Fluke IR instrument that has been taunting me all morning and decided that I need one, not want on but, need one.

Has anyone here used one of these low end or entry model type?

The FLK-VT04 and VT02 appear to have the same specifications with the 04 model being $200 more, in the upper $600 range. The 04 can be set up to monitor and might have some other features but, is it worth paying 50% more than the 02 model?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I got the VT02 when it was released to use for quick scans, it is really more of an IR thermometer than a thermal imager. I've read some posts/reviews on other sites and forums where unskilled people have purchased this simply to upsell unneeded repairs to customers simply because the display shows what appears to be overheating equipment.

It is useful as long as it is being used in the situation it was meant for. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need this it thermometer?

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I can provide more pictures for you when I'm at my laptop if you'd like.

When I received it

Impact wrench Impact driver Hammer drill Technology Photography

I carry it with as an added accessory to my FLIR

Tool Measuring instrument Hammer drill Everyday carry Impact driver

·
Premium Member
20,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I had some concerns about the cost and why it was at the price point that it was.
From your comments, I now understand that it is a thermometer but, I see some relevance using it for finding hotspots.
Is there a practical difference for using FLIR as opposed to the technology in the Fluke instrument?
I see that it can capture images and they can be saved and printed for a report which may be my only application other than maybe scanning a panel or motor bearings.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looks like a good cheap tool to generate sales. I bought my first Flir camera in the early 90's. Purchased it used and It cost as much as a new car. We used to be able to charge for scanning and generating a report. More and more the property managers i deal with took scanning out of their budgets.

So Nowadays we scan opportunistically when we do service work. Kinda of half ass, but just recently I picked up a panel change in a shoe store just because I had my camera with me when I was doing a service call.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
jrannis said:
I guess I had some concerns about the cost and why it was at the price point that it was. From your comments, I now understand that it is a thermometer but, I see some relevance using it for finding hotspots. Is there a practical difference for using FLIR as opposed to the technology in the Fluke instrument? I see that it can capture images and they can be saved and printed for a report which may be my only application other than maybe scanning a panel or motor bearings.
It does make finding hotspots easier. I will post up some pictures of the fluke display and the flir display so you can see the difference.

The fluke does come with reporting software which is pretty simple to use and generate documentation to show the customer. I'll also post a sample report from the fluke software so you can see how it looks.

I am out for most of the day but when I get home I'll get the info posted

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
OK just a few pics for now, my other laptop is at the office.

The VT02 will be helpful if you are looking for an overheating motor, and may be just what you are looking for. If you would like I'll get an image of a motor tomorrow with the Fluke.

The first 2 show exactly what you were looking for, picking out hotspots. One thing to note is that they appear "hot" they are well within operating specs. This can be deceiving to a customer.

Stripped down reports to show images from the VT02 and FLIR. The Fluke will show warmth while the Flir is for targeted troubleshooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.