Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question about my Fluke pocket tester.
Last week, a well-digger had nicked a set of #6 Alum USE wires. I standing in the trench, trying to figure out which one was neutral with the power still applied.
My Fluke pocket tester works fine above ground, but it quits working when it is below ground. I slid my tester down the ungrounded #6 and it indicated power as long as it was above the grade.
When I spliced the wires & restored power, I had no problems with the 110 volt bkr box.
I guess I am asking how a pocket tester functions & why doesn't it work underground?
Thanks,
Rick

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
I think it was working....
If you were in a trench I assume you were trying to test in a confined area? You need a little space for the tester to have the right amount of sensitivity.

edit: also, I wouldn't use a volt pen for anything that has any sort of importance.
I don't trust a "tester" that gets confused by an old timey tube tv.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts
The original Greenlee 1010 was my favorite years ago. The newer ones didn't work as well so I just use the Klein one. But I will never trust it as much as the old 1010.

·
Registered
32,969 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I had the same issue a couple weeks ago with my tester. I thought it was because the battery was failing. I ended up using my fluke amp meter instead.

They are a really handy tool but I think we all know not to entrust our lives to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.