Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for the life of me can not see what the difference is on the new t6-1000 pro. What am I not seeing? Thanks. I was hoping it had low Z or something, but I can't even find one thing that changed other than the price. Is it the accessories ?

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all I could see aswell, it crazy that they show it as a new meter and even add the PRO label to the meter face.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the t6-1000 does not have visual continuity where the pro does. I would like to know for sure.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,667 Posts
I was curious about this again so I checked the web site and you can't use the "compare" function for the T6's for some reason. So, I decided to go old school and call tech support and ask.

The regular T6-1000 relies on skin contact with the tester to make the ground path for the non-contact tests, there's a trace on the back of the device. The T6-1000 Pro does not have this, you can use it wearing gloves, but you have to ground the black lead to make a non-contact test, I guess that's why they supply an alligator clip for the lead you see in the pictures of the Pro. (Evidently they don't throw in a red for good measure, which irks me.)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I was curious about this again so I checked the web site and you can't use the "compare" function for the T6's for some reason. So, I decided to go old school and call tech support and ask.

The regular T6-1000 relies on skin contact with the tester to make the ground path for the non-contact tests, there's a trace on the back of the device. The T6-1000 Pro does not have this, you can use it wearing gloves, but you have to ground the black lead to make a non-contact test, I guess that's why they supply an alligator clip for the lead you see in the pictures of the Pro. (Evidently they don't throw in a red for good measure, which irks me.)
I can see how the Pro would be preferable on jobs where you need to be suited up even when just testing. It's $269 which ain't a bad price.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Does that mean you need to hook up the clip and find a viable ground every time you want to use the non contact test? It would be better if they had both and gave the user the option of using one or the other or both if they wanted.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,808 Posts
Does that mean you need to hook up the clip and find a viable ground every time you want to use the non contact test? It would be better if they had both and gave the user the option of using one or the other or both if they wanted.
You could DIY it to convert the non-pro to a pro, although I feel like it would void the warranty to add another banana jack to it...

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Since posting this I have purchased the T6-1000 (non pro) and it has both options available. It has the finger spot and instructions on how to use it without using the finger spot(sticker on the back) and pulling the test lead out. I will confirm tomorrow that it works both ways. That being said my T6-1000 has really slow reading response. I can actually count a full second before the voltage readings with the test leads stabilize at 120v. Readings with the test leads are considerably slower than my T+ pro and my cheap Klein I have had for 8 years.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,667 Posts
I think the t6-1000 does not have visual continuity where the pro does. I would like to know for sure.
I think you're right, the Fluke support rep didn't mention that, but I don't think the rep was very well trained on the products. This is what passes for support a lot of places any more, they hire people off the street, give them little to no training, and you hold for a half hour to hear someone rifle through the same data sheets you already looked at on the web site and guess at an answer.

Visual continuity doesn't seem like that big of a deal, the T+ has an LED indicator for continuity.

Since posting this I have purchased the T6-1000 (non pro) and it has both options available. It has the finger spot and instructions on how to use it without using the finger spot(sticker on the back) and pulling the test lead out. I will confirm tomorrow that it works both ways. That being said my T6-1000 has really slow reading response. I can actually count a full second before the voltage readings with the test leads stabilize at 120v. Readings with the test leads are considerably slower than my T+ pro and my cheap Klein I have had for 8 years.
Thanks for the review, that's good to know about the slow voltage reading, that's something that would bug me, it can lead to mistakes.

So if the T6-1000 standard / non-pro works with the black lead, it sounds like they

removed the finger spot
added the visual continuity
gave you half a set of alligator clips

and called it Pro.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think you're right, the Fluke support rep didn't mention that, but I don't think the rep was very well trained on the products. This is what passes for support a lot of places any more, they hire people off the street, give them little to no training, and you hold for a half hour to hear someone rifle through the same data sheets you already looked at on the web site and guess at an answer.

Visual continuity doesn't seem like that big of a deal, the T+ has an LED indicator for continuity.

Thanks for the review, that's good to know about the slow voltage reading, that's something that would bug me, it can lead to mistakes.

So if the T6-1000 standard / non-pro works with the black lead, it sounds like they

removed the finger spot

and called it Pro.
I found Flukes support reps to be less knowledgeable about their meters than I was when I called them asking for differences between the 28II vs the 87-V MAX, also with questions about the 289, 322 vs 323 and 324, and other questions... I’ve talked to them multiple times. I wasn’t impressed by them at all.

The slower response time is definitely good to know. I’ve put meters in the trash bin because of that. I can’t stand slow meters.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could DIY it to convert the non-pro to a pro, although I feel like it would void the warranty to add another banana jack to it...
I was actually thinking the opposite. I think the antenna down the back would be more useful than the clip method of voltage detection. Unless I’m misunderstanding and the pro already has both methods of non contact voltage detection.

If they weren’t so bad about posting their specs then we may actually get real answers to this kind of stuff. It’s like they think their users don’t understand technical stuff so they dumb down all their literature to elementary school levels. Just look at their instructions, they are right on par with IKEAs instructions.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

removed the finger spot

and called it Pro.
I just verified that field sense voltage works with the finger spot or the black lead. If you look at the back of my meter it shows using the black lead or finger spot. If using the finger spot the black lead must be docked in the back of the meter or I get 230-240 volts on a 120 circuit. The only difference that I can find is the visual continuity(screen turns green) the half of the alligator clip set and the holster. The screen on my standard version stays the normal background color for continuity, it does beep and shows the resistance. The background does turn green when you get a field sense voltage reading.

What I don't like, if you have a poor ground with the black lead or finger spot the field sense voltage will show over 200 volts on a 120 volt circuit. I've had this happen multiple times and just now when testing in my kitchen. Between that and the very slow readings with the test leads I am not impressed with this meter. I would be much happier with a T5 or clamp meter with faster readings. I would not trust the field sense readings for anything but curiosity due to the issues mentioned and I do feel the slow readings(using both test leads) could cause some safety issues. On higher voltages like 480v it will sometimes work its way up to 480v and look like 277 or 240 for a half second before getting to 480.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should add that after posting this I just emailed fluke that I do not feel safe using this meter. I'm curious to see their response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the T6-1000 and you actually can use the black probe for a ground instead of your skin contact on the back. Actually when. You use the black lead for your ground instead of your finger your contactless voltage reading is a lot more accurate. I use the the black lead instead of my finger always because using your finger only gives you a ball park voltage reading. 120V can show up anywhere from 115-125V etc. Using the black lead for a ground while using the contact less voltage sensing feature you'll usually be within like a volt or two of the actual voltage.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi this is a new meter with different featuresnit is not a t61000 model
I ended up buying one and it was a piece of junk. Very very slow reading response times. If you don't have your finger on the back ground it gives crazy voltage readings. I verified with fluke, the only difference is the alligator clips that make it a pro.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts