Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in few week i will have to do alot of ballast replacement on fluorescent fixture T5/ho 6 lamps that work on 347v in the storage section where the roof is about 50ft high. we got possibly hundred of fixture like this in this section.
They are all working with movement sensor also and it's a farly new installation maybe 3-4 years old.

And i was wondering what could be the safest way to change them ?
And also find a way to disconnect this without having to shutdown the lighting of all that storage or working with a flashlight lol.

I was planning to do this: (Feel free to add suggestion or something )

I will check if the breaker of these lighting hopefully is separated by section row for this storage.

If yeah i would put a lock on that breaker than close the entire row with cone and safety tape to avoid lift truck to come in while im 50ft high on a skyjack lift.
Was thinking to bright maybe some big lamp with me up there i could hook on my skyjack lift to help me see something because the power would be down for this row.
Disconnect all the fixture that need a ballast replacement of that row and bring them down and repair them in the shop and once its done put them all back up there, remove the lock and open the power of that row

and repeat

I bought also a bunch of Wago connector to make thing go faster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow!! 50ft? Those ballasts probably have an internal disconnect. I would probably just disconnect them internally and do the work up high to avoid too many trips up and down on the lift.(up and down are time killers). Proper procedure would be to lock and tag the breaker, but if the fixture has 3, 2 lamp ballasts and only one ballast is out, then how do you know which is the right ballast to change with the power disconnected? But I haven't seen the job so you would know better

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I changed and installed some of them i got 1 ballast for the 4 lamp outside and 1 ballast for the 2 lamp inside. Maybe i didnt see it but im prety sure all i got is a quick connect plug and the access to it was prety bad actualy that's why i was thinking about doing it the proper and safe way... anyway im paid in hours worked i got all the time needed :D

I will have to maybe see the price of a bigger skyjack maybe because i think the one we got go only likr 43ft high, someone told me that he could take a safety cage and bring me up there with a lift truck but i dont feel very safe not controling it by myself.

Found the answer for the lift truck

WCB standard
For those platforms requiring an attendant forklift operator, the operator shall remain within 25 feet (7.6 m) of the machine controls on ground level with the machine and platform in his view and in communication with the workers on the platform.

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
So in few week i will have to do alot of ballast replacement on fluorescent fixture T5/ho 6 lamps that work on 347v in the storage section where the roof is about 50ft high. we got possibly hundred of fixture like this in this section.
They are all working with movement sensor also and it's a farly new installation maybe 3-4 years old.

And i was wondering what could be the safest way to change them ?
And also find a way to disconnect this without having to shutdown the lighting of all that storage or working with a flashlight lol.

I was planning to do this: (Feel free to add suggestion or something )

I will check if the breaker of these lighting hopefully is separated by section row for this storage.

If yeah i would put a lock on that breaker than close the entire row with cone and safety ruban to avoid lift truck to come in while im 50ft high on a skyjack lift.
Was thinking to bright maybe some big lamp with me up there i could hook on my skyjack lift to help me see something because the power would be down for this row.
Disconnect all the fixture that need a ballast replacement of that row and bring them down and repair them in the shop and once its done put them all back up there, remove the lock and open the power of that row

and repeat

I bought also a bunch of Wago connector to make thing go faster.
I couldn't focus on anything else but your mention of a safety ruban.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have used platform lifts that were more than 10' long and 8' wide doing work on arenas.
We could setup a whole production table, porta-potty and coffee lounge on one of those.
Do you have any floor restrictions?

http://www.unitedrentals.com/en/cat...latforms/scissor-lifts/scissor-lift-50-60-4wd

Prety much the kind of lift i was looking for

http://www.genielift.com/en/products/scissor-lifts/slab-scissor-lifts/gs-4069dc/index.htm i need to confirm the height but if im right the jonction box were ar 46 feets

But for renting one i have to prove that there is a law about man cage on lift truck for a max height and all. I wrote to WCB and RSST to make sure these law are for my area too.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,662 Posts
Are you going to relamp at the same time?

What I do is pull the lamps, then the shades to get to the ballast, remove and replace then reinstall the shades and lamps.

As slow as the lifts we rent, I could think of going up and down, then climbing of to unload the fixture.

I'm not sure I would trust the manlift on the forklift, especially that high.

The man lift will also have limited space to work in.

I just replaced 21 cases of lamps, and could only carry 4 cases at a time in the knuckle boom we rented.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you going to relamp at the same time?

What I do is pull the lamps, then the shades to get to the ballast, remove and replace then reinstall the shades and lamps.

As slow as the lifts we rent, I could think of going up and down, then climbing of to unload the fixture.

I'm not sure I would trust the manlift on the forklift, especially that high.

The man lift will also have limited space to work in.

I just replaced 21 cases of lamps, and could only carry 4 cases at a time in the knuckle boom we rented.

I tried to tell my boss that it would be much more efficient on time and cost long term to change all the lamp at this height and if on a fixture you got 2 lamps gone, probably in few days , week or month the other one will follow thats why we replace them

But he asked me to replace ONLY the one missing after this... :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.