Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,318 Posts
Are you talking about replacing 1- 8' fixture with 1- 4' one?
Shadows will not be your friend. You just cut down the area covered, why were they 8'?

Cowboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about replacing 1- 8' fixture with 1- 4' one?
Shadows will not be your friend. You just cut down the area covered, why were they 8'?

Cowboy
There 8’ because my grandpa was a nut. He passed away and now grandma wants LEDs, she admits though that even the current lighting is a bit much. My plan was to swap with 8’ LEDs and put them on a dimmer. I just can’t find any 8’ LEDs with Triac dimming and don’t want to run additional 0-10 wires. So the 4’ers seemed like the next best option. I had the same concerns as you mentioned though…the dispersement of light. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,318 Posts
There 8’ because my grandpa was a nut. He passed away and now grandma wants LEDs, she admits though that even the current lighting is a bit much. My plan was to swap with 8’ LEDs and put them on a dimmer. I just can’t find any 8’ LEDs with Triac dimming and don’t want to run additional 0-10 wires. So the 4’ers seemed like the next best option. I had the same concerns as you mentioned though…the dispersement of light. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
I did (2) 2 tube 4' LED shop light fixtures for each 8' one at my house. I would not worry about dimming unless a lot of time is spent in the area.

Reactions: Bubba332

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,680 Posts
If they are 8 foot fixtures with 8 foot lamps, you can get 8 foot lamps. Plug and play or by pass type.. A fluorescent lamp or tube throws light in a 360 degree pattern. Up, down side and side and everyday between. If you only need the light to shine down, you can get tubes with a 120 or 180 degree pattern.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,365 Posts
8' bi-pin can be converted to single pin by swapping tombstones. I've found the single pin easier to obtain.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,262 Posts
You can buy LED fixtures that throw light in all different patterns. LEDs are basically one directional and it sometimes makes a difference. It's hard to find LED fixtures that will match the wide even lighting that fluorescent tubes throw. With an extra four foot gap between fixtures, even if the lumen output is the same, it won't be as even.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,680 Posts
You can buy LED fixtures that throw light in all different patterns. LEDs are basically one directional and it sometimes makes a difference. It's hard to find LED fixtures that will match the wide even lighting that fluorescent tubes throw. With an extra four foot gap between fixtures, even if the lumen output is the same, it won't be as even.
I liken the difference between most LED lights and fluorescent is think of a drop spreader and a broadcast spreader. If both are paying out the same amount of fertilizer the drop spreader will be more concentrated in it's coverage while the broadcast spreader will be wider and more even. Some people understand the analogy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.