Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i use FMC for a ceiling run of 20'(+/-) transitioning from my EMT stub up? because i did just that and the inspector failed me.:mad:

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
What code section did the inspector give for the rejection?

Pete

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What code section did the inspector give for the rejection?

Pete
I mentioned to him that no where in article 348 says that I am not in compliant with NEC regarding my installation and the douche bag failed my foreman regardless and he refused to cite a code section that will prove him right otherwise.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What fitting did you use for the transition?

I will assume you did not use the FMC as an EGC.
Nope, i ran a dedicated ground from the panel to my disconnect. My guys used a EMT connector with a threaded coupling and added a greenfield connector for the transition, about 40 feet of EMT and then transitioned to FMC (greenfield) in the basement drop ceiling area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nope, i ran a dedicated ground from the panel to my disconnect. My guys used a EMT connector with a threaded coupling and added a greenfield connector for the transition, about 40 feet of EMT and then transitioned to FMC (greenfield) in the basement drop ceiling area.
Inspector may have cause to red tag you for this:

348.6 Listing Requirements. FMC and associated fittings
shall be listed

They make transitional fittings listed for many apps and one is probably available for this install.

In short, you may be screwed.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
Giorgio.g said:

Maybe he wanted a conduit to greenfield connector?

I wouldn't have gone from TW to greenfield and back to TW. To hard to pull.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inspector may have cause to red tag you for this:

348.6 Listing Requirements. FMC and associated fittings
shall be listed

They make transitional fittings listed for many apps and one is probably available for this install.

In short, you may be screwed.
Before EMT to flex were even invented many of us in the trade used a connector with a treaded coupling and a greenfield connector, there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Before EMT to flex were even invented many of us in the trade used a connector with a treaded coupling and a greenfield connector, there is nothing wrong with that.
Not saying that the install is not common, I have done the same, I said the availability of fittings today may give the inspector cause.

No?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I mentioned to him that no where in article 348 says that I am not in compliant with NEC regarding my installation and the douche bag failed my foreman regardless and he refused to site a code section that will prove him right otherwise.
Wingz gave you a code section that the inspector could use (although, IMHO, it would be a stretch due to the verbiage of the section).

Point is the inspector should be required to provide the code section that you have supposedly violated.

I have installed the same set-up you show many times and have never been questioned. Is it possible that the inspector is flagging the install for the degree of bends in the run? It's very easy to exceed 360 using greenfield.

Pete

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
Giorgio.g said:
Still wrong, thats a NMFC/liquidtight to EMT.
It's what The Raco site kicked out.

I agree that how you did it is the same way most of us do it.
btw; I don't use romex were I'm at. I've installed maybe 30' in 30 years, if that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts