Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for all the progress I've made through this web site.anyone here had ask yourself do I do my job code compliant and better because I think it needs to be or do I do what the code book says , the minimum and go home knowing I kept the bid in perspective. Personally I try to keep it to the code and let the inspector ask for it to more if he thinks so. My boss loves it when I work this way. Today I realized I've pulled a lot grounds in conduits that didn't need it, that sucks, thinking the pipe may be acceptable but I've seen too many separated. Others I know go way overboard with grounds, unistrut for everything,larger wire(just in case) I often said he s wasting the companies money cause he s worse than an inspector. Always do a good job or better that what I grew up on, slackers and lazy people do the minimum while we give an extra 10%.... For me I'm successfully doing the minimum codes,get raises, bonuses and great perks while others go go way above code don't get many bonuses only get to work on big projects that can afford the way they cost, and for sure none of those good old Friday service call that you can go home early if you want,when ur done,,,,,,cause the co would lose money the way he over does it.
Do u follow the code and what the boss wants or do u do it up as nice and compliant as you think it should be?

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
Good questions. If your work is to code with a reasonable level of workmanship, nobody should fault you. If your boss is basically in the design/build business, he's not making money with overkill.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've been at the same shop for 11 years and have seen a lot of guys get laid off.
I've never seen them lay off a guy that made money on his jobs and did minimum code.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I like to work a notch or two above code minimum, but I regularly do jobs to the minimum to compete with everyone around here.

I have never enjoyed overbuilding anything. I think its wasteful and serves no purpose. But in the scheme of things, I install whatever the customer is willing to buy, whether it be a dirt cheap code minimum job or something over the top. Their money, their choice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I do what the person signing my check wants, and he wants it done to code. So do the inspectors.

I work in many different environments and when working in those, my opinion or idea of safe means NOTHING to an insurance companies, what the code says is what they want, and it's what I go by.

I'm surprised you asked that on this forum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going above and beyond and setting a better standard. Placing a couple extra one hole clips on the emt run, actually supporting the cable you run in drop ceilings, labeling the Directory in the panel's, etc.

Can you explain a little further what you mean?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learning that we must do it in a way thats feeds our families while knowing that doing the best job isnt always the best thing to do

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
110 Posts
It all depends, if the customer is all about price, needs something done he doesn't want to pay for in the first place, I do just code.

Otherwise I like to do the job as if it was for myself, nice neat and above code. Doesn't cost company anything as customer pays for it, and when doing quotes, just add it in.

I have had some customers just want things done cheaply and cut corners, don't want permits pulled (mostly cause they never got permits for their work) and just have it working.
I always tell them "nope", "ain't going to happen" I like to sleep at night, and don't want to worry if something happens.
Knowing most customers, they will come pack and say "so and so did the work, so and so said no permits required". No thanks, some other company can deal with that.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
It depends on what forum I'm posting at. At Mike Holt I do everything exactly as code requires and then go forty percent better than that. Over here I just slap it in and don't even bother with code or any of that book learnin stuff...

Reactions: dthurmond

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
In my opinion there is no above code, there is only to code and personal preference (beliefs) on how that is accomplished.

It's like saying when I run, I like to run faster than running. I like to go above and beyond minimum running, I do the extra 10% because I'm not a slacker or lazy person who just does minimum running.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Customer specs usually exceed our code. That being said Im not playing with my own money, its my bosses so its bare minimum, safety is the first priority then speed, then quality.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Claiming to wire to 'code' can be a lofty aspiration for those who understand and parse out code.

Has there every been an install posted @ ET which ALL agree is 100% 'code'?

~CS~

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Claiming to wire to 'code' can be a lofty aspiration for those who understand and parse out code.

Has there every been an install posted @ ET which ALL agree is 100% 'code'?

~CS~
I agree. It is a rare thing to not be able to find a code violation. The larger the job the more you find.

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
I had a GC give me a job because he said I was his "fussy" electrician. He had a demanding client. I don't know if that's good or bad. It makes me wonder how much work he is giving the splash and dash guy.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Last GC used to complain that I ran bare minimum circuitry......yet he was only interested in paying bare minimum sq ft pricing.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
When I first started out I told an inspector I never meet Code ...I exceed it.
We became good friends and I can count on one hand the number of times something I've done or specified had to be corrected in over 50 years.

True, overdesign and you will become unemployed very quickly.

IMO the best method is to spend some time with the client and explore what he/she wants, and is willing to pay.

Even if the client wants the bare bones price good workmanship and having his/her best interest at heart will get you back in the door next time, often without bidding.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Im rewiring a few apt units that were built in the early 20s originally wired with two 15 amp ckts. The only above code items requested is dedicated ac ckts and outlets. Min code works great. Minus the ac ckts I can wire each unit using two afci breakers, 3 gfci receptacles. Total of 5 ckts . I use 8/16 panel. Minimum code makes money.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that the better I am at follwing the code. The faster and least expensive I will be as well as learning to use the right material. Some guys use most expensive wirnuts and put them on everything. If u need small one get some and use them not a red yellow on 2 14s. Or running #10 s on the 20 amp circuts just in case. If u need for derating or v/drop fine otherwise do what the code says..and u dont have to use deep unistrut on everything

learning to learn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts