Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is because the GC's owe us money..

It is called the snowball effect.. :whistling2::laughing:
Oh that is the excuse, we haven't been paid yet.

1. I AM NOT A BANK
2. SORRY FOR YOUR MISFORTUNE BUT THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM.

One EC told us this was in the last 10% of the job and we would have to wait until he got his final payment in 12 months.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was told by a builder over the summer it doesnt matter how much they owe me as long as they pay me within their terms. I said well what are your terms. He tells me 30 days. I tell him that all the invoices are at least 60 days some were up to 8 months. He then tells me i need to go get a loan or find a lender to keep his jobs going that hes not my cash flow.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I was told by a builder over the summer it doesnt matter how much they owe me as long as they pay me within their terms. I said well what are your terms. He tells me 30 days. I tell him that all the invoices are at least 60 days some were up to 8 months. He then tells me i need to go get a loan or find a lender to keep his jobs going that hes not my cash flow.
Time to fire that GC.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good lord. Seems as though most all builders are the same when it comes to payment schedules, I thought it was just one of the builders I work with!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Whe you guys bill these guys do you charge monthly intrest and if so do they pay it. Im owed about another 5g in late fees throughout the year

·
Registered
414 Posts
We don't charge interest. Polite and respectful phone calls reminding them that there is an open balance we would like to clean up. "Can we make a progress payment" towards the open balance. The more we "hassle" them the more likely we are not to get paid.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the point here is it is not Ec's or GC's it is people and if they think they can get away with something they will. Some do not pay on time because they are pinched for money others do it as a habit because they are pr*cks.

·
Estwing magic
26,321 Posts
I think the point here is it is not Ec's or GC's it is people and if they think they can get away with something they will. Some do not pay on time because they are pinched for money others do it as a habit because they are pr*cks.
Exactly. You can't generalize. Terms are established before you agree to do the work. Depending on the billing cycle, we have guys who may take up to sixty days to pay but we know that up front. As long as the customer lives up to the payment terms, we have nothing to complain about.

There's a difference between a deadbeat and a guy, for example, who pays at the end of the month following. Payment terms can be part of the negotiation process. When I started in business, I had a small GC who took care of my material and permit costs up front and then paid immediately upon rough-in and final completions. I took very good care of him. He's retired now; good for him, bad for me.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Well?

Come on now, share the reasons. :)
Exactly. You can't generalize. Terms are established before you agree to do the work. Depending on the billing cycle, we have guys who may take up to sixty days to pay but we know that up front. As long as the customer lives up to the payment terms, we have nothing to complain about.
It's time to get a lawyer for two reasons...
It sounds like some don't work with a contract, it also sounds like some don't
put a lean on the jobs they have preformed!

A lawyer to help prepare a/ or several contract(s), and a lawyer could help them or even guide them on the lean laws in their States.

Hundreds can add up to thousands quite quickly.

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
I think the point here is it is not Ec's or GC's it is people and if they think they can get away with something they will.
More often than not, it'll show up in their credit report. Assuming of course one runs a credit report.

Some do not pay on time because they are pinched for money others do it as a habit because they are pr*cks.
More often than not, it'll show up in their credit report. Assuming of course one runs a credit report.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts