Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts
or why an inspector would pass it. or why poco would hook up to it.
Inspector most likely passed it as it meets code. ( based on the quality of the photo)
POCO hooked it as it meets code

Yes it is sloppy workmanship ,but that is next to impossible to enforce.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My first thought was that the siding guys strike again. But that's a really nice house so I'm not so sure.

It probably would've looked better with the meter main closer to the corner but there must be a reason why it's where it is.

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Exactly. I think nicely formed SEU looks way better than pipe on a house. I always have a rubber mallet in my service tool bucket so I can beat 200a SEU into place.
:001_huh:
Not even close, and it is even worse if you know what you are looking at.
I can't understand how many new overhead services you guys out east put up. Everything here is buried.

·
Super Moderator
EC
22,054 Posts
Everything here is buried.
All new stuff here is buried but there is still a bunch of overhead services around. The town of Chapel Hill has an ordinance which requires upgrades to be buried. Sometimes that is a royal PITA with concrete driveways etc. Fortunately the power company does that work

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I just don't understand how they couldn't have taken that extra 5 minutes to shape it plumb and level.
I bet they connected in the meter pan first.. then ran the cable up the side of the house...

Ass backwards.. but it works for them...:eek::eek:

This way they know for sure there is enough at the bottom.. :rolleyes::no:

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Most utility disrubution is still above ground here.
A lot of it is still on poles here, too, but for anything new, or anything changed, the poco goes underground from the nearest pole. Maybe it is because we have more room around here.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I bet they connected in the meter pan first.. then ran the cable up the side of the house...

Ass backwards.. but it works for them...:eek::eek:

This way they know for sure there is enough at the bottom.. :rolleyes::no:
I connect it to the meter pan first too, before I get to the job.

But I still put it up nice and neatly.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
A lot of it is still on poles here, too, but for anything new, or anything changed, the poco goes underground from the nearest pole. Maybe it is because we have more room around here.
Around here the customer can ask for underground but would have to incur the costs of it.

Its too bad because we do get a lot of ice storms pulling down tress and the wires under them.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
or why an inspector would pass it. or why poco would hook up to it.

You mean aluminum service drop conductors attached to aluminum service entrance conductors isn't right? :001_huh:

Also, around here we do not need the POCO or an INSPECTOR around to connect to the utility.

And... who's to say this one even had a permit?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Looks like chit.......:lol::lol:

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I suspect that at one time that was nice and neat and straight, then the siding guys came ...

Reactions: MTW

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You mean aluminum service drop conductors attached to aluminum service entrance conductors isn't right? :001_huh:

Also, around here we do not need the POCO or an INSPECTOR around to connect to the utility.

And... who's to say this one even had a permit?
That makes it right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts