Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
to be able to guide, work with and supervise the crew, not play GOD and crack the whip. to be able negotiate between team members if there is a problem, to be able to carry info and requests between manage and crew in a proffessional manner, i could go on but i might be gettin too picky!:whistling2:

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Serve as a buffer between trade foreman/supers and the general foreman/general super. One thing I know that's expected of me is to make sure the guy above me doesn't have to talk to anybody he doesn't want to, or leave his office.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just finished a job as a foreman where I ran an average of 7-10 guys a day. My days consisted of this.... Planning out what needed to be done that day. Assigning everyone duties. Making sure material was there, ordering material. Reading blue prints, and figuring out how tasks were going to be accomplished. Problem solving and communicating with the GC and other foremans from other trades. Making sure everyone was being safe.. Making sure my guys were doing what I told them. Make my guys redo there work if it sucked. Delivering material to workers so no one was standing around playing slap dicch. A lot of decision making in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
sparky970 said:
What do you expect from a foreman that is above and beyond a journeyman role?
. It's nice when they have a game plan with all the tools and materials to do the job at hand , and a preferred way that want it done . He / she should also be able to communicate well with the crew and not constantly bird dogging the men and clock watching . Guys will work harder for someone they respect , than a guy who runs around screaming at everyone . I've had both roles over the years and from some of the foreman I've worked for recently , I'm not too impressed , lol !

·
13,020 Posts
So, as a JW, do you contact the customer, order material, fill out time sheets, plan your work? Or do you call you foreman to do that for you?
Usually my boss does most of the stuff coordinating work, ordering stuff, etc but he's a moron so if it's something complicated I help him along a bit or just do it myself.

I've got a few good accounts that just call me directly that I'll probably steal someday :laughing: So yeah, sometimes I do foreman work.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,495 Posts
A Foreman is just the blue collar version of a manager. Their role should be to make sure everyone under them has what they need to accomplish their work on a daily basis....... Then....... get out of the way. :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.