Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a call from a property manager. The new LEDs they had installed don't work.
They are 57 watt so I assumed that they were replacing 400mH.

They installed new shoebox fixtures with a driver that would work up to 277 volts. Very common install but, this building uses 480 for its parking lot lighting.
I checked
One fixture phase to ground and it worked. Couldn't believe they weren't all smoked. 480 is very unforgiving.
Tomorrow we will be adding a neutral to every fixture and installing a fuse in every junction box KTK WITH an HEB holder we are for sure installing the boots on them. The existing ones were taped.
So, be aware that amateurs are piece working these LED installations and, 480 seems to be a rare voltage to the industry.

·
Premium Member
20,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We went back and I tested each fixture with 120 volts from the inverter in my truck, all but one worked.
Problem was, all of the fuses in the hand holes had at least one that was bad. They have been like that for many years so, the installers were very lucky. Only the one we found that was inoperative had good fuses and smoked the driver.
The owner had spare fixtures. We installed it using the new 277 we had and it worked.
The big time consumer on this job was locating the hand holes. 1/2 were at grade level, the other half of them required about 30 minutes of excavation.
Two of them had to be located with a rented metal detector. $15 for half day rental at Sunbelt.
We were heroes that day.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
jrannis said:
Received a call from a property manager. The new LEDs they had installed don't work. They are 57 watt so I assumed that they were replacing 400mH. They installed new shoebox fixtures with a driver that would work up to 277 volts. Very common install but, this building uses 480 for its parking lot lighting. I checked One fixture phase to ground and it worked. Couldn't believe they weren't all smoked. 480 is very unforgiving. Tomorrow we will be adding a neutral to every fixture and installing a fuse in every junction box KTK WITH an HEB holder we are for sure installing the boots on them. The existing ones were taped. So, be aware that amateurs are piece working these LED installations and, 480 seems to be a rare voltage to the industry.
. Most likely installed by one of these fly by night , lighting retrofit companies ? I've seen their act first hand , and they can be scary ! Hopefully the owner didn't pay cash or out a hold on their check !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Last fall I was installing 42W LED wallpacks to replace HPS fixtures on a large steel commercial building rented by FedEx. All the old fixtures were fed with 208, and had multi-tap ballasts. There were two fixtures on the overhead door side that were white when I jumperd the lighting contactor, so I assumed they had been retrod with MH, it was daytime and I was just doing a check to see if the contactor ran all of the exterior lighting.

When I got to those two, someone had retro'd common 26W CFLs into them and taped off one leg and used the steel building as the neutral! I saved those two fixtures for show-and-tell for the building owner. He was unaware of anyone changing any fixtures as he uses us exclusively for all of their electrical work.

TWN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.