Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 amp 3phase480volt main breaker that I am looking replace.however, customer wants me to show him some literature on why the FPE breakers aren't reliable. I have found some but it's based on residential not commercial. can someone give me some resources on where to find such information. thanks again.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Seeing as how they stopped producing FPEs in the early 80's, my answer would be simply because you can't guarantee the functionality of any molded case breaker that's probably 40 years old. They got their money's worth out of it.

Do a millivolt drop test on the breaker when it's under load. You may get lucky and it has high enough contact resistance to show that it definitely does need swapping out.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I have a 400 amp 3phase480volt main breaker that I am looking replace.however, customer wants me to show him some literature on why the FPE breakers aren't reliable. I have found some but it's based on residential not commercial. can someone give me some resources on where to find such information. thanks again.
You won't find it. Their problems were with the residential product lines, called "Stab-Lok". Different products, different production lines, different everything. FPE continued making industrial equipment for a long time after they had to throw in the towel on the resi business. In fact they continued on in Canada (called Federal Pioneer) until very recently selling switchgear and breakers, just not resi stuff. They were bought by Schneider and rolled into the Sq. D line.

Reactions: knowledge29

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Why are you replacing it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts