Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What years were FPE panels having problems. I have seen some with loose breakers falling out and burnt wiring. But looked at a possible upgrade today and it was in decent shape. Home built in 1988 and was really curious about when there problems were?

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
FPE history aside, replacing it will be doing them a favor, being able to install AFCI breakers. What a pain that has become.

·
neutral member
1,771 Posts
If the house was built in '88 I suspect stab-lock panel was someone's old stock, I don't remember them being sold from mid-eighties on?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully we can get some warm weather here soon. The home has electric heat and has a large amount of heat loss. Even in the kitchen with the heat cranked up the wall was really cold and uncomfortably cold around the receptacle I was changing out. And the whole basement was really cold with heat running almost constant. The -20 or below weather has been brutal.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked up the tax records it says built in 1986. I was just curious because I thought I heard about them straightening out their issues shortly before bankruptcy.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
The red handle ones were by far the worse offenders, those being made in the 70s. The ones before and after weren't perfect, but not anywhere near as bad. Ok enough to have passed UL standards back then IMO. The ones with a white dot are said to be improved.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I thought the issues with FPE panels were in the late 70's to early 80's.
The UL testing issues came to light when Reliance acquired the stab lok line in 1979 so it was mid to late 70's

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
The UL testing issues came to light when Reliance acquired the stab lok line in 1979 so it was mid to late 70's
I here HIs saying that most likely they falsified UL testing because FPE didn't want to pay extra to have UL test them. But I think the knew the breaker would fail.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,297 Posts
My understanding is Canadian FPE was different than American FPE in the 70s?
Same crappy concept with No-Trip breakers guaranteed to fall out when you pull the cover. They did improve over time but I didn't cry when they were discontinued.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I here HIs saying that most likely they falsified UL testing because FPE didn't want to pay extra to have UL test them. But I think the knew the breaker would fail.
I think it was more because the company was going out of business before UV Industries and then Sharon Steel bought them, neither of those companies knew anything about breakers or UL testing so it was a big mess. Someone during those transactions dropped the ball, I always imagined the EE's in charge of the UL program were laid off at some point.

Reactions: guest
1 - 20 of 29 Posts