Electrician Talk banner

Free Book About Contracting

10K views 78 replies 46 participants last post by  LAElectrician 
Want to read a free book about contracting?

Since I originally posted this, there has been a lot of racquets to read my book. Thanks for your interest! For people who want to read it, I just put up a page where you can send me your email address. This will allow me to get the book to you. Here’s the link: Million Dollar Contracting

Update: 3 August 2022 - I have now put my book up for reading. If you have already submitted your email address, I have now sent you the access link.

I own a 30-person electrical contracting company in Los Angeles, in business since 1979. I'm semi-retired now, which means I maybe spend 5-10 hours per week on the business, mostly because I still enjoy interacting with my great employees. In 2020 I attained a goal I had set many years earlier - financial independence. I still get an income from my company of a few hundred thousand dollars each year, which is one of the reasons I doubt I'll ever sell the company. At this point, because of my great customers and excellent staff, it's a money-making machine, whether I work any particular day or not. So why would I want to sell it?

I’ve just finished writing the first draft of a book that covers many aspects of starting, expanding, or salvaging a contracting business. Would anyone be interested in reading it? Before publishing it, I’ll be happy to make it available at no charge for my Electrician Talk friends. I could put it on the internet for free for a short period of time, hoping to get any constructive feedback you wish that could help me improve the final draft.

Here are chapters of the book:

0. Should you read this book?
1. What Does a Successful Contractor Look Like?
2. Have your contracting company properly set up
3. Marketing
4. Promotion
5. Different methods of Promotion
6. Your Company Website
7. Internet Marketing
8. Sales
9. Production
10-A. Collecting the Money
10-B. Collections - Customer Collection System
10-C. Collections – Customer Honesty
10-D. Collections - Collection Rules and Tips
11. Make a Profit
12. Admin Systems
13. Hiring Employees
14. Management Tips
15. Starting or Expanding Your Business
16. The Story of How John Built a Successful Contracting Business
17. Tips for Successful Contracting
18. Salvaging Your Contracting Business
19. End Game
20. Final Word
21. Glossary
22. Other Reading

If anyone is interested in reading it, please click here: Million Dollar Contracting
I have signed up. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share you knowledge, experience, and legacy you have built. I look forward to the read.