Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
LAElectrician
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It’s been less than 24 hours since I first posted this, and there already seems to be a lot of racquets to read my book. Thanks for your interest! For people who want to read it, I just put up a page where you can send me your email address. This will allow me to get the book to you. Here’s the link: Million Dollar Contracting

·
LAElectrician
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Email has been registered thank you so much for working on this and helping all in the community!
Thanks for your kind words. I must admit that I wasn’t expecting such a robust response! I’ll be setting up the book delivery system in the next few days and I’ll get it back to everyone who has given me their email.

·
Conservitum Americum
9,071 Posts
Add me to the list please.

I would like your thoughts on this, please.

One of our biggest problems as a fire alarm system installer was bidding to specifications. We were NICET 4 and knew the specifications were wrong in many places on the bidding sheets we obtained from contractors. We had the dilemma of bidding to the existing specs or bidding according to code and what we called the "Make it Work" option. Some of the parts/pieces were not compatible or not UL listed, or not something or other.

Do you waste your time bidding on something that will not work or not pass inspection or submit your own re-engineered, obviously more expensive plans that will work? When you do this, you risk alienating the contractor and tipping off the other bidders about the inaccurate RFQ specs.

Just once we would have liked to have a contract where you didn't have to have change orders just to make it work.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,715 Posts
I am no longer a contractor with no thought of going back, but have shared my book on basics here for years. I think it is great that you are doing this as a member here. I know this is a very requested topic from members new and old.

·
LAElectrician
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Add me to the list please.

I would like your thoughts on this, please.

One of our biggest problems as a fire alarm system installer was bidding to specifications. We were NICET 4 and knew the specifications were wrong in many places on the bidding sheets we obtained from contractors. We had the dilemma of bidding to the existing specs or bidding according to code and what we called the "Make it Work" option. Some of the parts/pieces were not compatible or not UL listed, or not something or other.

Do you waste your time bidding on something that will not work or not pass inspection or submit your own re-engineered, obviously more expensive plans that will work? When you do this, you risk alienating the contractor and tipping off the other bidders about the inaccurate RFQ specs.

Just once we would have liked to have a contract where you didn't have to have change orders just to make it work.
I would never bid a job with specifications that I knew were wrong in some way. What I would do is go to whoever is in charge of the project and let them know that there are problems with the specifications and, if it was simple, just supply the right information and bid the job with the right specifications. If there was a lot of work and redoing the plans I would suggest to the project manager that they pay me to redo the plans to make them accurate and per code. If the people running the project we’re not interested in fixing their plans, I would move on. My goal as a contractor is always to work with ethical, honest, and competent people and companies. Anyway, I appreciate your dilemma and hope things work out!

·
LAElectrician
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I am no longer a contractor with no thought of going back, but have shared my book on basics here for years. I think it is great that you are doing this as a member here. I know this is a very requested topic from members new and old.
👍

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,323 Posts
Has anyone else looked at the page give by the OP and thought of a phishing scam?

Give me your email and I will tell you where to down load the book. Scared me.

Your not paranoid if they really are after you.

·
LAElectrician
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Has anyone else looked at the page give by the OP and thought of a phishing scam?

Give me your email and I will tell you where to down load the book. Scared me.

Your not paranoid if they really are after you.
Hey, SWDweller, I just saw you post. I'm not phishing you, but don't know how to prove it to you. In a short while I'll have the book up on a new website and send it to the 20+ guys who have requested it so far. Perhaps you might hear some feed back from them after they get access to the book, and then decide you will be safe giving out your email.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts