Electrician Talk banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
LAElectrician
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
If I signed up, and not nosed to my E-mail,,,

What Message was sent out and by Whom to not re-reguest a mailed copy of this?
I’m not clear on what you’re asking here, but if you want to get a copy of the book go to the beginning of this thread and you’ll find a link there that will allow you to get access to the book. If you’re having any problems with this just PM me and I’ll help you out.

·
Registered
Master, sole proprietor
3 Posts
How long will you make this available for members?

With a bunch of small jobs, 2 young kids, and a rental property 3 hours away I might not get around to reading it as quick as I'd like to!

Any idea on when it will be available for purchase?

·
LAElectrician
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
How long will you make this available for members?

With a bunch of small jobs, 2 young kids, and a rental property 3 hours away I might not get around to reading it as quick as I'd like to!

Any idea on when it will be available for purchase?
Thanks for your comment and question. I'll probably be shutting down access to my web version of the book in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to give people following this thread at least a week's warning. I'm working with an editor right now and I would guess that the finalized book will be available in Kindle and paper versions in 2 -3 months.

·
LAElectrician
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I've skimmed thru a bit of it so far. Do you want to be notified with spelling or grammar issues?
Thanks so much, but probably the only things I don’t need is spelling and grammar corrections. I’m having the manuscript copy edited right now for grammar and spelling errors, also including making the writing smoother as well. But if you have any other recommendations about what should be in the book that isn’t or if you find any factual errors or disagreements with any of my advice I would love to hear about that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh wow. I've been looking for this kind of advice for so long. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. I am exactly where you were 40 years ago. My electrical contractor business has been running for 4 months, I just started. 32-year-old journeyman electrician with 10 years of residential and service experience. I manage my business alone with my truck and my wife (and my little daughter) who helps me with papers work at home when she has time. I have my little garage next door to my house and I literally printed off some of your tips and they are in my garage office. Thank you very much Kim.

·
LAElectrician
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Oh wow. I've been looking for this kind of advice for so long. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. I am exactly where you were 40 years ago. My electrical contractor business has been running for 4 months, I just started. 32-year-old journeyman electrician with 10 years of residential and service experience. I manage my business alone with my truck and my wife (and my little daughter) who helps me with papers work at home when she has time. I have my little garage next door to my house and I literally printed off some of your tips and they are in my garage office. Thank you very much Kim.
Hey, thanks so much for the compliments! I love hearing from new contractors. Is there any particular thing you're having a challenge with?

·
LAElectrician
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
This is really helpful to electrical contracting businesses, especially starters. And for a long-running business like ours, we should never stop learning about electrical contracting [link removed by moderator] in order to continuously improve our service. Thanks for sharing your work for free.
Thanks. I agree that we all can learn new ways to improve our businesses and our lives every day. I hope your business continues to do well!

·
Conservitum Americum
9,088 Posts
Gee, This seems like a tough situation you’re in. Is this kind of way of operating the standard in the industry or is this just one contractor/company that operates like this?
Pretty much a large percentage of RFP's were like that. We would always do the right thing as far as we were concerned by bringing the problems/discretions up in the question session before the final. The question and answer were given to every bidder. This in our opinion gives them the advantage of bidding to the spec with the operational change we dug up and their opportunity to still submit the to spec numbers and be willing to use change orders. In doing this, they have met the requirements as specified thus producing the lower than us bid. We, on the other hand, have shot ourselves in the foot and we are now forced to produce a bid that we can install and it will work. In reality, our higher bid is still way less than the to spec plus change orders but is difficult to get them to see that.

·
Conservitum Americum
9,088 Posts
Here is an example. This is a set of double doors leading into a retirement community dormitory. It is spec'd with fire doors and electromagnet door holders on the walls.

WALLS?

Wood Fixture Ladder Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Fixture Ladder

Building Ladder Wood Fixture Floor

61 - 73 of 73 Posts