Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, here's my scenario. I've recently installed an add a phase freq drive to run a hoist. The problem I've run into is that the up/down contactors on the hoist are not pulled in unless the momentary buttons on the controller are pushed. When not engaged the freq drive shuts down seeing a phase loss. Right now I have the phase loss protection turned off and it works just fine. My worries are if something happened and the hoist motor actually did single phase. I wouldn't have any protection other than installing some fast acting fuses on the load side of the freq outputs. I'm not sure what size I would use above the normal 3.8 amp load. My other thought would be to install some kind of small 3 phase load (control trans, small cooling fan, can't find one, or something else) that the freq would always see. If anyone has any ideas for an inexpensive small 3 phase load, I'm all ears (or eyes) to your thoughts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Square D told me it would definitely shorten the of the life of the drive. This hoist is only used occasionally so it's life span would be acceptable. That's why I figured a small constant load would prevent the "contactors", he called it something else, from opening and closing all the time.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Square D told me it would definitely shorten the of the life of the drive. This hoist is only used occasionally so it's life span would be acceptable. That's why I figured a small constant load would prevent the "contactors", he called it something else, from opening and closing all the time.
Telemecanique makes a great contactor that's IEC. I've seen them fire for years with no issue. Yes your right a definite purpose contactor is a no go. Even NEMA mag starters by square d are designed for this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm kind of confused about the contactor talk, This freq is rated for what it's being used for. The farm that purchased the hoist got it at a great price at auction and I'm trying to make it work without spending too much money. Really, I'm just looking to extend the life of the drive and thought a small constant load would work the best. Therefore I could turn the phase loss protection back on.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm kind of confused about the contactor talk, This freq is rated for what it's being used for. The farm that purchased the hoist got it at a great price at auction and I'm trying to make it work without spending too much money. Really, I'm just looking to extend the life of the drive and thought a small constant load would work the best. Therefore I could turn the phase loss protection back on.
First off. There's semi conductors in their that are limited on time to begin with and the constant starting and stopping of a drive just runs the piss out of them but you did say its not used very much. But I still wouldn't use it, just seems uncalled for. Oops I thought you were talking about the drive. Excuse me I'm drinking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.