Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is tha place to ask this question but I have to start some place.

I have an aircraft repair company and most of the components we service work off of 115V 400Hz and around 5 amps max.

Other than spending $5000.00 for an AC Power Supply just to change frequency is there any way I can build something cheaper myself to change the frequency to 400hz and regulate the voltage to keep it at 115 volts and will supply 10 volts(for two stations in one test stand) or 1 setup that will provide those features and I can just set up two of them?

I do all our mechanical engineering so if I am pointed in a direction I would be able to finish it out.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Eric

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I have heard of guys successfully coupling a 400Hz alternator salvaged off an old plane and coupling that to an ordinary farm duty AC motor with the proper sized pullies on each to spin the alternator at the right speed. Might work for you if you happen to have access to an old alternator that won't get used on a plane.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I see that Howard Hughes' old Buick just sold at Barret-Jackson for a couple million bucks. It had an on board 200 amp, 400hz generator with a pigtail under the rear bumper. It was his mobile ground power unit for his personal planes, since he normally worked solo. Pretty cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.