Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

In this post I would like to ask several questions, and would appreciate any insight from the members of the forum.

I am on a project where the main power coming in is 220V/50hz. The main panel will utilize the power at the supplied specs. A sub panel will be pulled from the main panel, but is there any way to get a converter in between the main panel, and sub panel so that the power will output at 220V/60hz? This panel will ultimately run 10 individual breakers, rated to 15A each (or 150A total).

All opinions and insight are greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just another bit of the puzzle:

Input power: 3phase 220/50hz

Desired Output power: 3phase 220/60hz

that frequency change seems so minuscule, but thats what I need! Again, thanks for taking the time :)

·
415 Posts
The more sophisticated UPS units will convert frequency from what I remember. That is if your loads won't be motors. If your loads are lights in a grow house I'm not sure frequency conversion is necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are you at that you have 50hz ?
This is in SE Asia.

I am sending machines that use motors inside that are rated to run on 3ph 220v/60hz.

Manufacturer states that said motors will create more heat on a 3ph 220v/50hz circuit, and recommends using them on 60hz. These will each basically be about a 1hp and a 1/2hp motor, running on each breaker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those arnt cheep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk
Ive been looking into VFD's, and they seem relatively affordable. Can something like a VFD go in between the main panel, and sub panel, so that the entire sub panel will run @60hz, even though the main coming in is at 50hz?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
All I can say is I've worked on a number of projects where someone attempted to use a VFD to control frequency to a variable load and the drive hated it. Unless this is an extremely static current draw, more than likely the drive is gonna have a very hard time absorbing the current reductions and fault out on bus overvoltage.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ive been looking into VFD's, and they seem relatively affordable. Can something like a VFD go in between the main panel, and sub panel, so that the entire sub panel will run @60hz, even though the main coming in is at 50hz?
No, you cannot turn motor loads on and off behind a VFD that is already running, the starting current surge of the motors turning on can damage the VFD, the voltage spike from turning them off can too. Just get small little cheap VFDs for each motor. They can be had for $130 each or less for what you are looking at. You don't need anything fancy, just a basic stripped down model. You will need to turn the motors on and off with the VFD though, not with the breakers or a contactor.
http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM50_230V/

Reactions: ampman

·
Senior Moment
7,942 Posts
Another way is as simple as a 50hz motor and a 60hz generator coupled by a belt and pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get the right motors and be done with it.
Naturally this would've been the easiest way to go about it, but its quite expensive. We are talking about $3000USD worth of motors, per machine, with 5 machines total. Thats 15k. I was hoping instead of changing each machine, I could probably spend 1/5 of that, and change the frequency before the panel thats connected to these 5 machines.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You can pick up some bare bones vfds for a little over $100 a piece. Possibly cheaper than that since you're talking about se asia

edit- I just looked online and the cheapest I saw was $130

·
Registered
888 Posts
Likely you can just run it at 50 hertz frequency. I have no idea what machine you have but manufacturers have absolutely no incentive to take even a small risk. It could cost them a machine sale, support issues etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts