Electrician Talk banner

Friendly reminder for the red seal grant

4K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Martine 
#1 ·
If you've changed levels (or have worked a minimum amount of set hours in a year in Quebec) don't forget to claim your Red Seal grant!

Men get 1,000$ per level (for two levels maximum) and then 2000$ when you become a journeyman

Women have a special grant to try to get more women in the trades, it's 3000$ per year (for two levels maximum) and then 2000$ when they advance to journeyman level.

There's a time limit and they do NOT backdate if you miss it. You have just under a month after sending in your online application to send in your required documents.

:glasses:

#5 ·
I joined when I was a student. In Quebec we have to do 1800 hours of schooling (about a year and a half) before ever stepping on a job site. I’d also be a 2nd year by now but I’m pregnant and not working. I have under 300 hours left to be a 2nd year, so I’ll be doing that once I’m done my maternity leave (which is pretty long in Canada, haha)

#8 ·
I think my wife has it tougher than I do right now, because I can go to work still. I can get out during the day. The kids are home with her and though they are allowed to go places there really isn't much to do. My oldest is doing remote learning from junior highschool and my guess is that will go to the end of the school year at this point. Probably wise as the worst hasn't made it's way from either Boston or New York. Hopefully you can get back to work soon or when the time is right. Been streaming a lot of shows to keep entertained. Things could be worse and I don't know anyone locally that has this yet. Stay sane and things will get better.

#9 ·
I was pulled out of work way before the pandemic, since January to be precise. :smile: They consider working higher than 3 steps on a ladder a danger that's worth being pulled out for to give you an idea. So I'm pulled out until September, and then I have maternity leave for a year (it's a lot longer in Canada), so I won't be working for a while either way. My partner isn't working either, even though he's considered an essential service as a carpenter depending on the job, because his boss doesn't want him to risk bringing it home to me since they're not 100% sure what effect the virus could have on a fetus. (They don't think there's any risk so far, but you never really know with these things)

And absolutely, I'm sure your wife is going a little stir crazy too. The lack of human interaction is exhausting. I'm glad you guys are healthy and doing ok though!

#10 ·
Bassins de main-d'œuvre are labour pools I believe, I'm translating pretty literal though so maybe there is a different term. I don't think Ontario has anything like that, we do have OYAP(Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) though, it starts in either grade 11 or 12 and the student has a chance to become an apprentice while getting their high school diploma.

Also, good reminder to get your grant money because it's very easy to not spend ten minutes and fill out the info to get it, silly reason not to get 1000$.

#11 ·
I have heard some dumb things out of the Great White North but this is not only the DUMBEST but it seems Canada is also discriminating against men.

And they increase your taxes to give yourself a bonus.

BUILD THE WALL.

#12 ·
You don't need a wall to keep out all the Canadians that aren't clamouring to come to your ridiculous country.

Also, she's taking about Québec; these programs aren't identical across the country. This relates to points 99 raised in the other thread about national licensing. You can have national licensing (as we do) without everything else being exactly the same.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
The grants are from the federal government and are national, not only in Quebec.

An no they are not discriminatory. There are very few women in trades (maybe 2%?) so this was put in to try and boost that. The idea being there will be a major shortage of people in trades so getting women in will help. There are other incentives available for others like aboriginals.

There was no grant at all for anyone when I went to trade school.

#17 ·
There was no grant at all for anyone when I went to trade school.
Me either, although I seem to recall some sort of tool allowance or something like that. On the other hand, it did not cost us (me) anything to go to school either...

When I did trade school, we got a special EI rate (think it was called UI at the time) and (higher than normal), did not pay any sort of tuition, was paid a mileage allowance to drive (over a certain distance) and all books, parking, etc was covered.

Trade school was also 4 terms, basic, intermediate, advanced and post-advanced. To "graduate" you had to a current standard first aid certificate which was part of the apprenticeship program.

Cheers
John

#15 · (Edited)
I guess there is not enough motivation to get to work so the government has to encourage you to work? Better than sitting on welfare but to pay every apprentice money and women more is beyond dumb.

Is there a shortage of apprentices?

Is there a minimum I have pay apprentices otherwise I could pay less as the government supplements their income.

#27 ·
Incentives may have been necessary when the trades were run by cavemen but I live in a ******* province and even here nobody cares anymore. Any guy who complains about a woman on site risks going head first into the dumpster. :)

I had one female apprentice who was a know-it-all because she took a pre-apprenticeship program for women. She didn’t know it all and wasn’t very good so she never got called back. I had another who was great. She worked in her father’s shop from the time she was a kid. Just like guys, you get good ones and bad ones.

#31 · (Edited)
Think of it this way.

Imagine a Skilled trade that is dominated by women and in the near future it is projected that there will be a big shortage of workers. There is not enough women getting into this imaginary trade so the government provides incentives to try and get men to join in hopes that it will help with the shortage.

But it is not a big deal and it is not working. There are still very few women getting into trades so the minimal grant money going out is not an issue

#32 ·
Think of it this way.

Imagine a Skilled trade that is dominated by women and in the near future it is projected that there will be a big shortage of workers. There is not enough women getting into this imaginary trade so the government provides incentives to try and get men to join in hopes that it will help with the shortage.
That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why segregate it into genders? If they need more workers, give incentives for new workers.

The military does it with bigger enlistment bonuses and other benefits when they need more soldiers. Many industries offer free or less expensive education or training to get thru labor shortages.

But to give those extras to someone based on their gender is ludicrous, and prejudice.

#34 ·
you'd need to have enough insurable hours between maternity leaves, and also considering that for the majority of the maternity leave the salary is about half of what a normal salary would be, and you need to support said children, the costs would add up quite quickly, but yes, in theory a woman could spend a large part of her working life at home raising children.

In Quebec you could also have the father take 10 months off to take care of said child instead of the mother (men get 5 weeks paid leave and parents can decide who stays home after maternity leave ends and parental leave starts, they're two separate things)

So a man could also make a career out of paternity leave.

#39 ·
I don’t know what to say anymore. Women have to buy tampons and make up so we have to give them special government handouts.

The worst part about this is that the people who make and support these programs are the ones disparaging women. They are treating them like feeble minded idiots. It’s 2020, all women know that they are equal and could do any job they want. You don’t have to treat them like halfwits and entice them with bait.

#41 ·
This opens another can of worms that I already know we don't agree on, but let's talk about how we "have to give [women] special government handouts" because they have to buy menstrual products. In my opinion, these should be covered as part of a universal healthcare system, as they are necessary healthcare items. And if they were, and if other societal barriers to equity were removed, we wouldn't have to give cash handouts to try to make up for the disparity. But you don't believe in universal healthcare, so there you go.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.