Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am a 5 month old apprentice and i have done really well so far. (From my understanding) i got promoted from the bull**** labor stuff like. (Put in these fifteen outlets, load my truck, run 14-2 from this box to this box etc.) now i work on jobs often by myself or with a master. I know in 6 to 7 months my boss is planning on me working with my own laborer, but I'm nervous because somedays i suck. I mean it takes me hours to do something that my master comes by and does in 5 minutes. Then i feel like an idiot. Is this normal? If so any tips or advice?

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
What kinda hang ups are you talking about? Something you just dont have experience with?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
So i am a 5 month old apprentice and i have done really well so far. (From my understanding) i got promoted from the bull**** labor stuff like. (Put in these fifteen outlets, load my truck, run 14-2 from this box to this box etc.) now i work on jobs often by myself or with a master. I know in 6 to 7 months my boss is planning on me working with my own laborer, but I'm nervous because somedays i suck. I mean it takes me hours to do something that my master comes by and does in 5 minutes. Then i feel like an idiot. Is this normal? If so any tips or advice?
For a 5 month old I'd say you're doing pretty good. Man, they're starting them younger and younger now days! I didn't have my first job until I was 17.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I mean, Ive watched a guy drop ten screws from up on a ladder down into a gutter before I got annoyed and went over and did it for him. That sort of thing?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For example yesterday i did a house call where i had to put in nine cans on a whole new lighting circuit i did that in a few hours. Today three smoke alarms took me half the day i couldn't make a 20 foot pushrod fish the master came in halfway through the day and ten minutes later we were done.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Thats where experience gets it done. You getting hung up in framing or insulation? Comes with practice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deep Cover said:
Nothing about your post makes sense. From your age (5 months) to you running your own jobs after only a year in the field.
and deep cover i wont be running my own jobs all the time but the master who's training me will be going back to school and opening a bar so he will work a lot less. Meaning 75 percent of the time it will be me and a less experienced guy I wont be working on anything serious more house calls and minor things.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
For some reason people round here are quick to say "what the f are you talking about moron" instead of just talking about it. :laughing:

·
Registered
110 Posts
A lot of it is learning the tricks.

There are so many little things to make jobs easier.
I had the advantage when I started in the trade. Worked with my boss one on one, and learned so much in a really short time. Plus the opportunity of doing data to industrial and everything in between helped too.

You'll get better, just keep at it.

One trick I learnt was if you are trying to do something and its not working out, or your struggling. Step back, look at it, and rethink. Most times it will hit you, ahh, so easy if I try this way :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shock-Therapy said:
Thats where experience gets it done. You getting hung up in framing or insulation? Comes with practice.
there was a metal ac duct right to the left and framing to the right i couldn't get the rod to get between the two. It kept jumping in between the truss and the joyce on the right and the ac duct on the left.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan Wheeler said:
A lot of it is learning the tricks. There are so many little things to make jobs easier. I had the advantage when I started in the trade. Worked with my boss one on one, and learned so much in a really short time. Plus the opportunity of doing data to industrial and everything in between helped too. You'll get better, just keep at it. One trick I learnt was if you are trying to do something and its not working out, or your struggling. Step back, look at it, and rethink. Most times it will hit you, ahh, so easy if I try this way :)
Thanks Dan i don't think i did that today. I got real frustrated which didn't work out well. My Stepfather was an electrician and i worked jobs with him often growing up so i think that gave me an advantage starting out. Glad to hear someone else go moved along quickly as well.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts

( i am a 5 month old apprentice ) :eek::eek::eek:

O M G they start apprenticeships pretty young in Arizona !

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Wow a 1st year running work or even working alone doing a job. Either the boss is a dumbass or has absolutely no standards. Curious how one gets the title as a "master". Around here if you have a masters you usually just go by your name. That "master" must have a small member or an inflated ego.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Dmansee12 said:
The reason you don't feel qualified is because you are not. That is the whole point of being an apprentice. Any legitimate apprenticeship program is at least 4 years, usually 5. After topping out of the program you should have a grasp on a wide range of electrical installations. You will not be an electrical genius. There will still be PLENTY to learn. No offense but at 5 months, you don't know anything by comparison.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he has first years taking on responsibilities like that alone he probably wont be in business long and you will be working for someone decent soon. Just get some hours in while you can and tough it out for now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
With only 5 months experience you have no business working alone, and certainly not supervising others. In many states that is illegal.

No offense, but the reason you feel unprepared is because you're not ready for this yet. There is a reason apprenticeships take 4-5 years. It is normal for someone with your experience level to still get stuck on things which are not that complex; with the proper mentoring and practice you'll get there.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts