Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"One ground rod is no longer adequate. If your home only has one, adding another is a smart thing to do since grounding is a major cause of problems and cost so little to correct. It should be noted, newer homes don’t have ground rods and rely on an “in-slab” grounding method to stabilize the power in your home."

"
Many older refrigerators will trip a good GFCI especially during a lightning storm."

"
Improperly torqued bolts can easily cause overvoltage conditions and destroy low wattage appliances such as computers, flat screen TV's and microwave ovens. We check this very closely in a matter of minutes."

"
Never reset a main breaker standing and looking right at it. Stand to the side, get everyone out of the room, who is not needed and wear; gloves; long cotton sleeves and pants; shoes/boots. If the cause of the trip was a direct short or lightning strike a tremendous amount of energy may have been expended and this type of breaker could fly out of the panel in a fireball!"

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I'm pretty sure I would be embarrased to be the owner of that site.:laughing:

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I've been installing step up transformers for all these years. Little did I know all I had to do was over torque one of the lugs just right to up the voltage.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
here is the thing. half of the world that knows nothing about electricity is now scared to turn their lights on. this guy is on to something. drumming up all kinds of work. we had a service call after this lady saw a show on emf, and had us put all her basement lights back to incandescent, then relocate her ground rods to the north side of her house. magnetics seem to affect her well being.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Some Projects

• House Wiring
  • Commercial Wiring
  • Industrial Wiring
  • Church Wiring
  • Pool & Spa Wiring
  • Barn/Farm Wiring
Lots of wiring for sure.

"If the problem is just in your home and you have a ground rod near your meter tap it lightly with a dry piece of wood. If it is not tight turn off the main breaker and call an electrician to replace it or tighten it. Don't touch it, many people have been electrocuted doing so!"

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
here is the thing. half of the world that knows nothing about electricity is now scared to turn their lights on. this guy is on to something. drumming up all kinds of work. we had a service call after this lady saw a show on emf, and had us put all her basement lights back to incandescent, then relocate her ground rods to the north side of her house. magnetics seem to affect her well being.

Scare tactics and bogus unnecessary repairs would not help me sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Some Projects

• House Wiring
  • Commercial Wiring
  • Industrial Wiring
  • Church Wiring
  • Pool & Spa Wiring
  • Barn/Farm Wiring
Lots of wiring for sure.
Lots of time repeated wording is on the site to help with search engine ranking. My site has a lot of the same type of wording.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of time repeated wording is on the site to help with search engine ranking. My site has a lot of the same type of wording.
As an experienced web developer I can tell you that this is not the way to help with search engine ranking.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
One page he is making the person terrified to touch anything and on another page he is saying this.

• Do some of the work yourself or help out to reduce the cost, or just to learn!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
"One ground rod is no longer adequate. If your home only has one, adding another is a smart thing to do since grounding is a major cause of problems and cost so little to correct. It should be noted, newer homes don’t have ground rods and rely on an “in-slab” grounding method to stabilize the power in your home."

Maybe this is what the wesite was talking about:
250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding.
• (A) Grounded Systems.
• (1) Electrical System Grounding. Electrical systems that are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

"
Many older refrigerators will trip a good GFCI especially during a lightning storm."

It was explained at an IAEI Seminar that new refrigerators would not trip a GFCI as readily as the older units, since they had less leakage current

"
Improperly torqued bolts can easily cause overvoltage conditions and destroy low wattage appliances such as computers, flat screen TV's and microwave ovens. We check this very closely in a matter of minutes."

Loose neutrals in SE panels have been rumored to upset the balance in 120/240V 1ph systems. Voltages on line A=160V B= 80V

"
Never reset a main breaker standing and looking right at it. Stand to the side, get everyone out of the room, who is not needed and wear; gloves; long cotton sleeves and pants; shoes/boots. If the cause of the trip was a direct short or lightning strike a tremendous amount of energy may have been expended and this type of breaker could fly out of the panel in a fireball!"
A typical homeowner does not have PPE but may try to reset a tripped main breaker. They may not realize the danger involved in trying this over and over again with the deadfront removed, bare chest etc.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Some Projects

• House Wiring
  • Commercial Wiring
  • Industrial Wiring
  • Church Wiring
  • Pool & Spa Wiring
  • Barn/Farm Wiring
Lots of wiring for sure.

"If the problem is just in your home and you have a ground rod near your meter tap it lightly with a dry piece of wood. If it is not tight turn off the main breaker and call an electrician to replace it or tighten it. Don't touch it, many people have been electrocuted doing so!"
What if there was fault current in the grounding electrode conductor, would it be wise to handle it to test for tightness?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.