Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think you would have to make the receptacle switched. It couldn't be considered a convenience receptacle if its on the same circuit as the furnace.

You will have to take the unfinished/finished basement into consideration (if this is in a basement).

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I was recently informed by a plumber that the newer high end buderas super efficient models would be damaged by using any sort of line side shut off

any others run into this?

~CS~

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you would have to make the receptacle switched. It couldn't be considered a convenience receptacle if its on the same circuit as the furnace.

You will have to take the unfinished/finished basement into consideration (if this is in a basement).
I know your required to have a service outlet within sight of any HVAC equipment. Around here the norm is just to tap it off the furnace circuit since the theory is you wouldn't be running the furnace if say your using a power tool on it.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was recently informed by a plumber that the newer high end buderas super efficient models would be damaged by using any sort of line side shut off

~CS~

I would imagine that's untrue, because anytime a momentary utility outage or voltage dip occurred it would damage them. I doubt the manufacturer would goof on that but I guess its possible.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If you zoom in the switch is rated for 15 amps. This gets into table
430.248. This makes your amps (stated) up above the limit of HP's that can be
used (by code) that can be controlled by a (simple) single pole switch.

A motor rated single pole 30 Amp switch is what you need.

Grainger

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you zoom in the switch is rated for 15 amps. This gets into table
430.248. This makes your amps (stated) up above the limit of HP's that can be
used (by code) that can be controlled by a (simple) single pole switch.

A motor rated single pole 30 Amp switch is what you need.

Grainger

Ive never seen that used on a residential furnace though. Usually a 15 or 20 amp switch is ok.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've never seen a 14.4 amp home furnace either!

A simple snap switch usage is rated up to 1/8 HP or less the Table states your limits.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

A simple snap switch usage is rated up to 1/8 HP or less the Table states your limits.

Good Luck.

Its what the rating sticker says. I did an amp draw on start up on this exact same model furnace but it only comes out to about 7 to 8 amps. So far several of these were installed like this but Im not sure if this is right or not.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Let's start at Article 430.42, this states as permitted as things that need to be considered that are in "Article 210 ", and more articles...

Now go to Article 210.19(A)(1), Read there!

Since your going to have any combination of loads (let me assume one circuit)
and on one branch circuit; that is now for two pieces of equipment on this one circuit - while it not might be even non continuous loads it still needs to have 125%...

If that doesn't get it; your at 14.4 (you have use something stated from the motor) then another motor (pump ) with some amp draw of some value.

Maybe it's a variable speed motor to push to 14.4?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Usually on high efficiency furnace u need the plug close by for the condensate pump , I usually make the gfci constant and tap the circuit of the furnace .

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Good Luck.
That's what the rating sticker says however Im having a hard time figuring out how they even came up with that number. The unit is only 100,000Btus rated and Ive installed a lot larger.

Let's start at Article 430.42, this states as permitted as things that need to be considered that are in "Article 210 ", and more articles...

Now go to Article 210.19(A)(1), Read there!

Since your going to have any combination of loads (let me assume one circuit)
and on one branch circuit; that is now for two pieces of equipment on this one circuit - while it not might be even non continuous loads it still needs to have 125%...

If that doesn't get it; your at 14.4 (you have use something stated from the motor) then another motor (pump ) with some amp draw of some value.

Maybe it's a variable speed motor to push to 14.4?
The motor is a permanent split capacitor type, but I did a clamp on several already installed units and it doesn't seem to go above 10 amps.

Will look into it that artice, there will a tiny condensate pump but that will hardly ever run. I still cant figure out if a 15 amp circuit will be ok to start with. The other guy is telling me 15 along with the switch is good but even the inspector is unsure.

Here some pics if they help:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Single pole switch(minus the receptacle) would probably be okay in most areas

edit: If the receptacle is used only for related equipment like condensate pump, then the receptacle would be ok 422.12 ex 1

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Single pole switch(minus the receptacle) would probably be okay in most areas

edit: If the receptacle is used only for related equipment like condensate pump, then the receptacle would be ok 422.12 ex 1
But since its single does it need to be a 20amp or the 15 is ok?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

~CS~
The circuit boards can be damaged when working on them if the ground is disconnected. Static electricity can destroy them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts