Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know off hand about how far away from a resi furnace room door the disconnect switch needs to be or can be?

Got a home owner who doesn't want it anywhere near the furnace room door for aesthetics... but I don't actually know how far away I can go. :blink:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just outside the room, when you open the door the furnace is right there... so the switch needs to be outside the door. Which is in a main area and he REALLLLY doesn't want a switch there, but is okay with it further down the wall. :roll eyes:

·
Estwing magic
27,547 Posts
Just outside the room, when you open the door the furnace is right there... so the switch needs to be outside the door. Which is in a main area and he REALLLLY doesn't want a switch there, but is okay with it further down the wall. :roll eyes:
He's going to freak out when you tell him it has to be identified. I would write "FURNACE" on the cover plate with a big fat felt pen just to watch him go into a neurotic seizure :laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Change order $$
Change what to what?!? :blink:

I found this, think this applies?

62-208(5)
The disconnecting means required in Subrule (3) or (4) shall be located within sight of and within 9 m of
(a) the central unit and the controller; or
(b) an alcove or closet when the central unit and the controller is installed in such a space.​
9 frickin meters???? seriously??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found it section 26

26-806 Heating equipment rated 117 kW and less (see Appendix B)
(1) Except as permitted by Subrule (3), all electric power for the heating unit and associated equipment
operating in connection with it shall be obtained from a single-branch circuit that shall be used for no other
purpose.
(2) For the purpose of this Rule, circulating pumps and similar equipment need not be considered as associated
equipment, provided that such equipment is not essential for the safe operation of the heating unit.
(3) Subrule (1) does not apply to a water heater using a gaseous fuel.
(4) The branch circuit shall be permitted to be tapped as necessary to supply the various pieces of associated
equipment, but there shall be no overcurrent protection supplied in the tap to any piece of associated
equipment the operation of which is essential to the proper operation of the heating unit, unless the control
equipment is of such a nature that the heating unit will be shut down if the associated equipment fails to
function due to the operation of the overcurrent device.
(5) Suitable disconnecting means shall be provided for the branch circuit.
(6) The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be a branch circuit breaker at the distribution panelboard,
provided that the panelboard is located between the furnace and the point of entry to the area where the
furnace is located.
(7) Where a separate switch is required due to the unsuitable location of the branch circuit breaker, it shall
(a) not be located on the furnace nor in a location that can be reached only by passing close to the
furnace; and
(b) be marked to indicate the equipment it controls.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for digging that up.. pretty vague though as to how far away from the door I could go with the switch.

Guess I'll go with the homeowners request that it be somewhere about 8ft down the wall away from the door. And label it accordingly. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.