Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know were all electricians here but im cold, my furnace doesnt stay on I bought a new thermostat installed it and still have problems i had an HVAC technician over and he said theres nothing wrong with it annd didnt do anything he told me I might need a new thermostat. I have been talking to other HVAC guys on jobsites and they say I probably need a new circuit board anybody have experience replaceing circuit boards in furnaces? Its a goodman furnace, boottom of the barrel type and the problem is the gas doent always ignite or it just trys to start repetively. but dont stay on?:(

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
On the burner line in the opposite side from the igniter there should be a flame rod that passes current to ground through the flame, if it is dirty it won't work. You can clean it with emory cloth and you should be fine, this is a pretty common problem with flame rectification.

·
Licensed Electrician
171 Posts
On the burner line in the opposite side from the igniter there should be a flame rod that passes current to ground through the flame, if it is dirty it won't work. You can clean it with emory cloth and you should be fine, this is a pretty common problem with flame rectification.
Also check the ground on the on the spark control. They have to have a good ground. Hope this helps......:thumbup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Did you open the lower door and read the led trouble code? There is a key to the codes inside the cover. In my experience with Goodman/Junkitrol ...er Janitrol the boards are crap and short lived. At least you can get most of them online for about $100 and they come with detailed installation instructions.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Also check the ground on the on the spark control. They have to have a good ground. Hope this helps......:thumbup:
I don't think the ground would be the issue on a unit that has been working fine for a while.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Did you open the lower door and read the led trouble code? There is a key to the codes inside the cover. In my experience with Goodman/Junkitrol ...er Janitrol the boards are crap and short lived. At least you can get most of them online for about $100 and they come with detailed installation instructions.

Johnstone has generic boards made by ICM for most units that are in the $60 range.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
i'm told to use fine steel wool.

·
G.D.I
28 Posts
I had a similar problem with my furnace. I just called a supply house and ordered a new board for the furnace. Cost $100 and was a very, very simple to install....HVAC guys have it easy:D

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I had a similar problem with my furnace. I just called a supply house and ordered a new board for the furnace. Cost $100 and was a very, very simple to install....HVAC guys have it easy:D

Flame sensor is @$3 and usually the problem, if it was the board it wouldn't start the draft fan.

·
G.D.I
28 Posts
My memory is a little foggy as this was 5 years ago, but I know I replaced both the flame sensor and board about 6 months apart. I know one of the problems was the furnace would constantly cycle without blowing heat....on, off, on, off etc. So I guess that would have been the flame sensor?

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
My memory is a little foggy as this was 5 years ago, but I know I replaced both the flame sensor and board about 6 months apart. I know one of the problems was the furnace would constantly cycle without blowing heat....on, off, on, off etc. So I guess that would have been the flame sensor?

That sounds more like a fan control issue. A sensor not working causes the flame to light, shut down, light,shut down, until it either locks out or just keeps trying, depending on the control configuration. It can eventually ruin the relays on the control board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts