Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call today. Fuse panel with issues.
Luckily we have used replacement parts and we were able to fix it.

Troll away. I am used to it.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,567 Posts
Why do you save all that stuff

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On another note. Existing panel was a Wadsworth. It seems Square D made an exact same panel. This is the guts I was able to find.

Did Square D buy out Wadsworth?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
On another note. Existing panel was a Wadsworth. It seems Square D made an exact same panel. This is the guts I was able to find.

Did Square D buy out Wadsworth?
A lot of electrical components such as breakers are physically interchangeable with other manufacturers. Just because it fits and works doesn't mean it's an acceptable way to repair it.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of electrical components such as breakers are physically interchangeable with other manufacturers. Just because it fits and works doesn't mean it's an acceptable way to repair it.
Does not work the same way for fuse panels.

You cannot repair/replace guts on a General panel if all you got is Square D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Does not work the same way for fuse panels.

You cannot repair/replace guts on a General panel if all you got is Square D
I'm pretty sure repairing with assorted odds and ends will void any UL listing. Make sure your employer has paid up his insurance premiums if you're going to do that kind of stuff

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure repairing with assorted odds and ends will void any UL listing. Make sure your employer has paid up his insurance premiums if you're going to do that kind of stuff
You are correct. I would never do that. I only replace like for like.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The bigger issue is all of the 30 amp fuses in that box....the right thing to do would have been to replace them with the proper Type S ones of the correct ratings. Plus educating the customer of the dangers of overfusing. And it doesn't cost much either. :whistling2:

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
trust me, get out of the habit of repairing that old junk. Tell the customer just save up so they can replace/ upgrade.
:no:
I do the same with FPE and Zinsco

·
Registered
596 Posts
Every situation is unique! Some people just plain don't have to spend. You just do the best job you can give the circumstances. Merry Christmas!

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bigger issue is all of the 30 amp fuses in that box....the right thing to do would have been to replace them with the proper Type S ones of the correct ratings. Plus educating the customer of the dangers of overfusing. And it doesn't cost much either. :whistling2:
The block I installed had the adapters. I installed 20 amp fuses and did exactly what you stated.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts