Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently found an apprenticeship with a great contractor which does a lot of commercial and multi-residential work.

As a 1st year, I do a lot of wire pulling, splicing, attaching boxes to walls, and pipe bending, although I was allowed to put together a few panels at my last job. It is a bit boring, but I understand you have to get through that sort of stuff before you get to have a little more fun.

Here's what I'm curious about; I'm a real problem-solver, and I like a job that puzzles me frequently. I got a B.Sc. in physics after high school, as well as an education degree after that, before I decided I'd rather be in the trades.

My original goal was instrumentation, since I know that there can be some real complexity there, but I wouldn't mind becoming an electrician if I can find the same sort of problem-solving opportunities.

Can anyone give me any advice for getting into that sort of job in the next few years, bearing in mind that I'd like to stay with the company that first indentured me for the time being?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congratulations finding an apprenticeship, that is half the battle! My advice would be stick with the company if you don't mind the work, as you advance they will hopefully give you more challenging tasks and new problems. Once you quit learning is when I think it's time to move on. But in all reality just starting apprenticeship stick with it there is a lot to learn. More to your point there are lots of specialized areas that would be a challenge I think for even the brightest: motor controls, plcs, instrumentation, power distribution. If you stick with it I am sure you will get exposure to different parts of the trade and you can try your hand at whatever interests you most. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Look into

Electrical Testing
Controls
Generator systems with a specialty in Paralleling equipment

I would have said Power Quality a few years back but almost all the issues have been solved and it was mostly hack electricians doing piggish work

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it difficult to get from having only commercial and residential experience into a job where you would start gaining exposure/experience with controls, PLCs, instrumentation, etc? It seems so many of those jobs are looking for people (even 2nd year apprentices) who have industrial experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.