Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our final and upon meeting with the inspector any receptacle within 6 ft of sink that is in a patient care area is not required to be g.f.I protected. Reason being: Nuisance tripping while the doctor is in with a patient would not be very pleasant. Great for service calls though馃槈

Administrator
Retired EC
How is not having a gfci good for service calls? Or did you get a call to remove the gfci?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is not having a gfci good for service calls? Or did you get a call to remove the gfci?
I was being a little facetious and comical with the service call statement Dennis. What's the easiest service call you have ever had to take care of? Maybe a G.F.I that has tripped....There is an exception in 517 regarding G.F.I protection that I will have to get you.

Banned
I have never reset a GFCI receptacle in a doctors office.

Some guys get all the good calls! Gotta love sending that bill..
"$183.19 for resetting tripped GFCI receptacle, payment due in full upon receipt. SUCKER!"

Registered
Just got our final and upon meeting with the inspector any receptacle within 6 ft of sink that is in a patient care area is not required to be g.f.I protected.

What kind of patient care area?

Like a patient room?

Registered
Just got our final and upon meeting with the inspector any receptacle within 6 ft of sink that is in a patient care area is not required to be g.f.I protected. Reason being: Nuisance tripping while the doctor is in with a patient would not be very pleasant. Great for service calls though馃槈
If this is a serious post it is hilarious. When a doctor is in the room the only think he plugs in is an extra charge on the bill. I personally think you are bulls**ting a bunch of bullsh**ers.

Registered
If this is a serious post it is hilarious. When a doctor is in the room the only think he plugs in is an extra charge on the bill. I personally think you are bulls**ting a bunch of bullsh**ers.
How do you know he is wrong?

Reactions: JustinJ

Registered
Justin, be sure you specify the code cycle, and exactly what type of area in the health care facility. There have been several changes in the last few cycles that apply to this exception.

Registered
It was a patient exam room, I have looked through 517.17 and can't seem to find the exception that the inspector was so adamant about. I will keep digging.
That deals with Ground Fault Protection.

Look at 517.21

Then see if that applies to what you are talking about.

Registered
The GFCI exception in 517 is 517.21 "GFCI protection for personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed within the patient room."

Note that this exception is for critical care areas. See the definition of critical care area (under Patient Care Area) which reveals that these are not patient exam rooms, which is what you originally stated.

Note that in critical care rooms, the toilet and sink are typically in the patient room, not in a separate (with walls and door) room, with a curtain for privacy. Since this would technically make the entire patient room a "bathroom" by NEC definition, this exception was created to accomodate the unique use of toilet and sink in critical care patient rooms.

Look also at 210.8(B)(5) and its exceptions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The GFCI exception in 517 is 517.21 "GFCI protection for personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed within the patient room."

Note that this exception is for critical care areas. See the definition of critical care area (under Patient Care Area) which reveals that these are not patient exam rooms, which is what you originally stated.

Note that in critical care rooms, the toilet and sink are typically in the patient room, not in a separate (with walls and door) room, with a curtain for privacy. Since this would technically make the entire patient room a "bathroom" by NEC definition, this exception was created to accomodate the unique use of toilet and sink in critical care patient rooms.

Look also at 210.8(B)(5) and its exceptions.
Craig upon further research this morning your code reference of 210.8 B 5(exception #2) is the most accurate reference pertaining to why the inspector was explaining nuisance tripping of G.F.I rec located within 6 ft of the basin. He was very adamant about the rec not being g.f.I protected as the doctor would be in with a patient and to have the g.f.I potentially trip it wouldn't look very professional to the patient. Thanks for your wisdom Craig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts