Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a gas fire place insert installed in an masonry fireplace. This unit is not direct wire in fact is corded. The manufacturer’s instructions say to either run the cord out the front to a nearby outlet. Or install an electrical outlet on either the left or right corner in back on the existing masonry fire box.

I do not see how this would pass any code requirements the outlet could never be serviced with out removing the insert.

What do others see.
I found another post but the consensus was follow what the manufacturer suggests.

We follow the 2017 NEC

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,326 Posts
I'd say if that were a wood burning masonry fireplace, you're not putting a receptacle in the firebox.

If it's a wood framed fake chimney or wood framed chase for a metal flue, then the receptacle is fine.

But I'm not the inspector or building official on that job.

Ask AHJ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say if that were a wood burning masonry fireplace, you're not putting a receptacle in the firebox.

If it's a wood framed fake chimney or wood framed chase for a metal flue, then the receptacle is fine.

But I'm not the inspector or building official on that job.

Ask AHJ.
Currently it is a masonry wood fireplace that is to be converted to gas with a pre manufactured gas log fireplace insert as part of my customers remodel.

I have had remodels where the client wanted a gas fireplace installed and on those Romex was ran to an junction box that was installed in the fireplace by the manufacturer or a outbox was installed in the valve blower area.

Never encountered one with a cord that required an external outlet.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,335 Posts
It’s a inset the recept won’t be near anything hot just put it in it will be fine there Clark just follow the manufactures instructions they are smarter than you obviously. Ok now that this diy is handled can we get back to real business and lock this thread

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,641 Posts
The fireplace installer who says to place the outlet in the rear of the existing wood fireplace as per manufacture.

The electrician who says this will violate code.
Electrician working under fireplace installers permit, or the other way around ?

Reactions: Majewski

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electrician working under fireplace installers permit, or the other way around ?
They are separate the insert installer will pull his own mechanical permit.

The electrician is to pull his permit and the electrical to the insert is under the rest or the electrical work.

I am agreeing with the electrician I do not see how a outlet box in back and outside of the insert satisfies code. His point being how are you ever to service said box with out removing the insert.

my city dishwashers use to be direct wire,
Then they wanted an outlet behind with a cord and plug, now outlet under the sink. Why a disconnect so anyone servicing the dishwasher knows it is for sure disconnected before removing tha dishwasher or opening it up.

Sometimes manufacturers are not too bright.
We will contact the elec inspector and get his take.

Also when I registered and wrote my first post I was never told this was an electricians only site. Only after I read an email I receive that stated such.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The common way here would be hardwired in mc with a switch for disconnect
Exactly but if you take a look at the photo I posted the manufacture says not to plug into a switched outlet.

Also looking at the drawing just now if the unit needs to be plugged in or unplugged I suppose one with skinny arms may be able the do so between the outside wall of the insert and brick wall or the masonry( provided any side trim on the insert can be removed. If the outlet needs replacing don’t know how one will get to that?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,302 Posts
What happens when someone takes the insert out? Now you have a firebox with a molested wall and a receptacle outlet certainly not rated to be inside a firebox.

The local inspector needs to call this one.

Those fireplace inserts are usually triple wall so there is no heat behind there especially with gas logs. I have installed them in the back before I realized that is not a good place for it. I am not sure there is anyway to install it other then having the cord come outside the box and plug it in there.

Those units used to have a spot inside the fireplace where you can install a receptacle. Not sure why that can't be done.

Reactions: Majewski

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What happens when someone takes the insert out? Now you have a firebox with a molested wall and a receptacle outlet certainly not rated to be inside a firebox.

The local inspector needs to call this one.
Exactly. Down the road if he sells the house the new home owner could do just that! Someone that loves a real wood burning.

Full wood burning masonry fireplaces are rare now in new construction this one is nice and well built late 70’s when they were reasonable. Cost.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,335 Posts
Exactly. Down the road if he sells the house the new home owner could do just that! Someone that loves a real wood burning.

Full wood burning masonry fireplaces are rare now in new construction this one is nice and well built late 70’s when they were reasonable. Cost.
Then the homeowner trips a breaker and melts a device. I ment honestly how dumb would one have to be to start a fire in a fireplace with a recept installed in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It p pop
Being a resi GC is like herding cats 😉
Agreed and I am in the fastest growing city in the USA so it is like trying to herd Feral Cats. I will ask the electrician to try and talk to the inspector.

But he will probably tell me he does not have the time, so I may need to herd one more and call him myself. It is tough trying to get anyone to even return a phone your phone call in this location.

Just read a sales report today that the average home price has increased in town by over 200 K since January 2021

1 - 20 of 50 Posts